British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=93)
-   -   Latest Aquisition - Transvaal Artillery Sweetheart (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46329)

QSAMIKE 16-05-15 12:27 AM

Latest Aquisition - Transvaal Artillery Sweetheart

3 Attachment(s)
Good Evening Everyone......

This beautiful Sweetheart Pin arrived today and I thought I would share.......

Boxed Sterling Silver Sweetheart Pin to the Transvaal Artillery.....

It is properly hallmarked Birmingham 1901..... (I tried to take some photo's of hallmark but they did not turn out, will try again later)

Company of manufacture: C.H. & Co.

Size: 1 Inch by 1 1/8th Inch......

Have also added photo of Cap and Collar Badges, the pin is smaller than the collar......

Mike

Blue Puttees 16-05-15 05:27 AM

Absolutely stunning Mike!

Is the original jewelers box also marked?

Alex Rice 16-05-15 06:00 AM

Hi Mike
That must be fairly unique! A country making a sweetheart brooch for an enemy unit during a war!! :eek:
I've also never seen TSA collars, I didn't even know there was such a thing. Thanks for showing them.
Cheers,
Alex

Milmed 16-05-15 06:52 AM

Hi,
I have also never seen a collar badge for the staats artillery in any of the many photographs seen.

I am aware though that the smaller badge was used on a pillbox hat. These Transvaal state arms badges were not unique to the artillery and was worn by most state employed uniformed people including the railways ZASM.

I believe the larger badge may be associated with a military force like the Staats Artillery, but the smaller badges not.

Steven

QSAMIKE 16-05-15 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Puttees (Post 309655)
Absolutely stunning Mike!

Is the original jewelers box also marked?

Sorry but the box is not marked but fitted for this pin......

Mike

Alex Rice 16-05-15 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSAMIKE (Post 309688)
Sorry but the box is not marked but fitted for this pin......

Mike

It doesn't matter, an enemy brooch hallmarked in the UK...:D

iaindh 17-05-15 04:27 PM

Interesting; perhaps the order was placed before the outbreak of hostilities?

regards, Iain

Frank Kelley 17-05-15 04:41 PM

Gentlemen,
Mike has not actually shown a picture of the hallmarks and it is very important to remember that this item is a brooch, moreover, the ZAR was annexed by the 1st of September 1900.

QSAMIKE 17-05-15 04:51 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Good Morning Everyone .....

Tried again with a different camera, here is what I was able to get......

It is an Anchor, Lion with one paw up, and date letter "b" .....

Mike

QSAMIKE 17-05-15 04:55 PM

There you go Frank, the Hallmarks.......

Mike

Frank Kelley 17-05-15 05:03 PM

Yes indeed, appears to be sixth cycle Birmingham 1901.

Quote:

Originally Posted by QSAMIKE (Post 309836)
There you go Frank, the Hallmarks.......

Mike

rmarsden 17-05-15 07:49 PM

I believe the silversmiths for this piece are Charles Alfred Henry & Francis Herbert Westwood, trading as Charles Harold & Co no 2 St Paul's Square Birmingham.
Ron.

iaindh 18-05-15 04:09 AM

If then the ZAR was annexed I wonder how the Brooch could be dated 1901

milhistry 19-05-15 09:32 AM

Staatsartellerie didn't wear collar regimental collar badges. Officers and warrant officers wore rank insignia on the collar. Usually six pointed stars.

Very interesting pin. I wonder if perhaps a tommy may have aqcuired it in the Anglo Boer War and perhaps tried to legalise it back home by taking it to an assay office?

QSAMIKE 19-05-15 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milhistry (Post 310009)
Staatsartellerie didn't wear collar regimental collar badges. Officers and warrant officers wore rank insignia on the collar. Usually six pointed stars.

Very interesting pin. I wonder if perhaps a tommy may have aqcuired it in the Anglo Boer War and perhaps tried to legalise it back home by taking it to an assay office?

Thanks for the info on what I was told is a collar..... Then again if not a collar what and where was it worn......

I think that the expense of having it hallmarked for the average Tommy would have been excessive......

Mike