British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne and Special Forces (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Uncommon Canadian Parachute Corps Officer pattern (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33673)

rubicon 05-08-13 04:37 PM

Uncommon Canadian Parachute Corps Officer pattern

3 Attachment(s)
Hello,

I'm a bit puzzled with this strange Canadian Parachute Corps Officer pattern??? It looks like a Scully pattern but has not the 5 rivets to fix the chute and the scroll on the base and in addition the design is slitghly different from the Scully made. I've never seen a pattern like that in past.
Opinion?
J-F

Old Smelly 05-08-13 04:59 PM

Is that the one from Minden Militaria?
Lee

wright241 05-08-13 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rubicon (Post 222659)
Hello,

I'm a bit puzzled with this strange Canadian Parachute Corps Officer pattern??? It looks like a Scully pattern but has not the 5 rivets to fix the chute and the scroll on the base and in addition the design is slitghly different from the Scully made. I've never seen a pattern like that in past.
Opinion?
J-F

J-F,
The "Scully Ltd, Montreal" one I have, does have 5 rivets.
David

rubicon 05-08-13 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Smelly (Post 222664)
Is that the one from Minden Militaria?
Lee

Yes it is...

rubicon 05-08-13 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wright241 (Post 222665)
J-F,
The "Scully Ltd, Montreal" one I have, does have 5 rivets.
David

I agree with you all the Scully made I've seen with lugs or discs have always 5 rivets. J-F

Bill A 05-08-13 07:38 PM

This example looks like the British made officer's badge. Ken Joyce notes that these badges were only made with lugs, and did not have a maker mark on them.

GregN 07-08-13 04:12 AM

The badge is already sold, what did it go for?

Greg

cw2311 09-08-13 04:28 PM

If you have not purchased this badge as of yet, please save your money for a textbook version. As previously mentioned by other members, the silver overlay is commonly seen riveted to the base rather than soldering or some other form of bonding. I have quite a few of these badges in my collection and handled many more in both solid and hollow back and they all have been produced the same way with rivets. As for maker mark, I have seen both marked and unmarked for no rhyme or reason.

Cheers

cw2311 13-08-13 08:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here is a picture of an Officer’s cap badge that was being offered a while back as ‘original’ by an unnamed dealer. I can’t totally fault him as I do understand it can become very difficult to be well versed in all militaria, however, I guess the onus is on him as a dealer to know his products. Unfortunately someone now has this expensive reproduction as the highlight of their collection.

Because of the rarity of an Officer’s 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion cap badge, I do understand the likelihood of someone having the opportunity to handle enough of them to make an informed decision as to originality make it challenging. Forums and better quality reference books have helped lessen the chance of collectors and dealers alike of being stung with purchases such as the one shown here.

Cheers

cw2311 13-08-13 09:03 PM

Here is a pretty convincing hollow-back Officer’s cap badge with lugs that sold today on ebay. I’m quite surprised it did not sell for more money due to the posted description and the guarantee of originality! ;)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRITISH-MADE...vip=true&rt=nc

rubicon 15-08-13 05:19 PM

Thanks to all for your contributions. The cap badge was sold for £500.
I read again the description of the Canadian Para Corps officier cap badges in the book of Ken Joyce. He does not give an accurate description of the British made officer cap badges but only states it was a near exact copy of the Scully badge. So we don't know if the overlays on the British made were with pins soldered and inserted through holes made in the brass plate or directly soldered on the brass plate... He also states that the cap badge made in UK were not marked. J-F

Frank Kelley 15-08-13 07:56 PM

This sort of thing really does make my blood boil, but, an all too common happening these days :(

Quote:

Originally Posted by cw2311 (Post 223879)
Here is a picture of an Officer’s cap badge that was being offered a while back as ‘original’ by an unnamed dealer. I can’t totally fault him as I do understand it can become very difficult to be well versed in all militaria, however, I guess the onus is on him as a dealer to know his products. Unfortunately someone now has this expensive reproduction as the highlight of their collection.

Because of the rarity of an Officer’s 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion cap badge, I do understand the likelihood of someone having the opportunity to handle enough of them to make an informed decision as to originality make it challenging. Forums and better quality reference books have helped lessen the chance of collectors and dealers alike of being stung with purchases such as the one shown here.

Cheers

cw2311 15-08-13 11:18 PM

I’m sure that between all the collectors who are following this thread, many of you already own one of these badges. Would some of you be so kind as to posting a few pictures of their 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion Officer’s cap badge(s)?... even just the back of them for ‘rivet reference’. Then we may be able to see the several types that were in production along with maker marked and unmarked.

Cheers

Phillip Herring 16-08-13 12:30 PM

Considering that these officers' cap badges are reaching $1500.00 each, it must be worth copying them.

Phil

Jack8 16-08-13 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cw2311 (Post 224196)
I’m sure that between all the collectors who are following this thread, many of you already own one of these badges. Would some of you be so kind as to posting a few pictures of their 1st Canadian Parachute Battalion Officer’s cap badge(s)?... even just the back of them for ‘rivet reference’. Then we may be able to see the several types that were in production along with maker marked and unmarked.

Cheers

You say in your earlier post that you have quite a few of these in your collection, may we see some of yours?

May I ask the experts here what is their conclusion about the pattern of badge sold recently by Minden Militaria for £500, is it genuine WW2 issue or not?

There is also another one for sale at present by Chairborne Militaria for £600.

Jack