British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Sweetheart, Veteran and other Lapel Badges. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=25)
-   -   Filigree Fusiliers Sweetheart (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71826)

Tigerlily 24-01-19 08:16 PM

Filigree Fusiliers Sweetheart

1 Attachment(s)
I found this little beauty in an antique shop today, bought it along with a few little odds and ends and the dealer kindly let me have it for £24. I have no idea on age or material but I've not seen another like it. Just thought I'd share.

leigh kitchen 24-01-19 08:19 PM

It should be mine, now you're just rubbing it in.
Not made of silver?

Tigerlily 24-01-19 08:57 PM

No idea, no discernable hallmark. But obviously my gut feeling is its Victorian, sliver and worth lots of money.

leigh kitchen 24-01-19 09:12 PM

I wondered about the crown, Victorian or ERII?
I took the central star to be a representation of the rose on the RF badge.
Silver filigree jewelry was / is a very common offering for purchase by soldiers in Cyprus, perhaps it was made there.
Then again it could've been made anywhere.

Tigerlily 24-01-19 09:37 PM

It has more of a Queen Vic look to me. And it looks silver to me. Who knows, I've had a quick google but no joy as yet.

Frank Kelley 25-01-19 08:05 AM

What a lovely piece, I would think a considerable amount of work has gone into that, very nice indeed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerlily (Post 466382)
I found this little beauty in an antique shop today, bought it along with a few little odds and ends and the dealer kindly let me have it for £24. I have no idea on age or material but I've not seen another like it. Just thought I'd share.

Tigerlily 25-01-19 09:34 AM

I agree Frank, it is lovely, I'd like to know a bit more about it but no luck as yet. I'm really pleased with it, I have been picking up a lot of RAF sweethearts recently, so it was nice to spot such an unusual RF sweetheart. I need to update my albums, I have quite a few new badges I haven't added yet.

Frank Kelley 19-02-19 08:00 AM

I'll look forward to those updates!

dumdum 13-03-19 06:08 AM

Hi

I would think that it is made in the Middle East (could be WW1 or 2) as it is very similar to items that I've seen before. Some have "MADE IN PALESTINE" on a small tab with an optional "SILVER" stamp.

They are made of fine silver wire which I believe was twisted up by young boys (this from a ex-jeweller who served in Egypt and took a keen interest in the making of these items).

They were soldered using a mix of borax and silver filings but are NOTORIOUSLY hard to repair as they are SO fine!

Tigerlily 13-03-19 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 472015)
Hi

I would think that it is made in the Middle East (could be WW1 or 2) as it is very similar to items that I've seen before. Some have "MADE IN PALESTINE" on a small tab with an optional "SILVER" stamp.

They are made of fine silver wire which I believe was twisted up by young boys (this from a ex-jeweller who served in Egypt and took a keen interest in the making of these items).

They were soldered using a mix of borax and silver filings but are NOTORIOUSLY hard to repair as they are SO fine!

Hi, thank you, I think you may be right, heard similar from a jewellery dealer recently, have also heard Greece as a potential country of origin. Wherever its from, I'm very fond of it.
Alli

KOMalta 13-03-19 09:06 PM

Filigree also very popular in Malta!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 466394)
I wondered about the crown, Victorian or ERII?
I took the central star to be a representation of the rose on the RF badge.
Silver filigree jewelry was / is a very common offering for purchase by soldiers in Cyprus, perhaps it was made there.
Then again it could've been made anywhere.

leigh kitchen 13-03-19 09:16 PM

We've really narrowed it down then.
Locally made in the Cambridgeshire fens 'Lil?
A nice little item wherever it hails from.

dumdum 14-03-19 04:11 AM

Hi Lily

I'd still go with the Palestine/ Egypt origin and WW1 or 2. I see that you've wondered about the Queen's crown on the badge but I wouldn't get too worried about this purely because there must have been a certain amount of "artistic license" when it came to doing this.

Could it be thatwas easier to do a Queen's crown or that the maker didn't know the difference?

There are some NZ Reinforcement badges made that are only WW1 but they have a Victorian crown on them!

Tigerlily 14-03-19 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 472123)
We've really narrowed it down then.
Locally made in the Cambridgeshire fens 'Lil?
A nice little item wherever it hails from.

I hope not, would rather it was a bit more exotic than that. Yes it is lovely and no you can't have it 😋

Tigerlily 14-03-19 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 472144)
Hi Lily

I'd still go with the Palestine/ Egypt origin and WW1 or 2. I see that you've wondered about the Queen's crown on the badge but I wouldn't get too worried about this purely because there must have been a certain amount of "artistic license" when it came to doing this.

Could it be thatwas easier to do a Queen's crown or that the maker didn't know the difference?

There are some NZ Reinforcement badges made that are only WW1 but they have a Victorian crown on them!

No got past the crown thing once the penny dropped that it couldnt be a Queens crown on that badge! Think you are probably right with period. Thanks again.