British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   Edmonton Regiment finds (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67647)

Infanteer 28-04-18 01:03 AM

Edmonton Regiment finds

2 Attachment(s)
Found a great pair of Edmonton Regt titles and a cap badge. According to an article in the Loyal Edmonton Regt's journal "The Forty-Niner", this variation is attributed to the 2nd battalion in Canada from 1941-43. The cap badge appears to have a backing made from a canvas 1st Cdn Div formation patch. Oddly enough, even though I live in Edmonton, Edmonton Regt. items don't seem to appear in the local shops very often so I was quite pleased with this find.

48th 20-08-18 12:03 AM

Great titles. Not often seen.

Bill A 20-08-18 11:57 AM

Hi Steve, Can you post the attribution? Is the article recent? 2nd (Reserve) Battalions were not to wear coloured embroidered titles and were to wear the worsted slip-ons. And there was a lot of correspondence in LAC files about the issue of reserve Bn's requesting titles and being refused.

Tanker Mike 13-09-18 11:09 PM

Very nice

Infanteer 15-09-18 03:30 AM

"The Fortyniner" Issue No. 110 September 2011. The article was written by Captain Darby Whitebone. According to the article, the slip-on titles were worn for a few years by the 2nd Battalion and then were replaced by colored shoulder titles. I can go to the museum and do some research of my own.

Bill A 15-09-18 11:10 AM

It would be good to see some supporting evidence for that. Some reserve battalions did wear coloured titles, contrary to edicts. (Edicts repeated, and repeated again.)

Infanteer 27-09-18 10:49 PM

Well Bill, I spent a bit of time at the LER museum today and spoke with a knowledgeable collector/volunteer and we were unable to find anything so far to support the claim that the 2nd battalion wore colored shoulder titles during the war. I did see some photos of the 2nd Bn at summer camp in 1940 wearing interesting combinations of wool and KD battle dress with metal shoulder titles and/or collar badges which wasn't supposed to happen as far I understand. None of the photos I found of the 2nd Bn showed the use of the slip-on titles either. More research needs to be done.

Bill A 28-09-18 12:46 PM

Thanks Steve. This is one of the issues with collecting. When something is put out, it becomes a "fact" over time. But, there isn't anything to substantiate the theory.
The slip-ons were not issued until the late spring or summer of 1940, and then it took time for all units to get theirs. A further complication. The worsted slip-ons were initially only issued to the active service battalions, but not those overseas. So the 2nd Bn Edmonton Regt would not have slip-ons until circa 1942, when the wearing of such was relegated to the reserve battalions. This corroborates what you saw.