British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   MARPLES & BEASLEY over BIRMINGHAM maker mark (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81876)

grey_green_acorn 20-11-20 05:19 PM

MARPLES & BEASLEY over BIRMINGHAM maker mark

14 Attachment(s)
There seems to be a general consensus on the Forum that the maker mark MARPLES & BEASLEY over BIRMINGHAM should not appear on the sliders of 'other ranks' badges made in white metal (WM), gilding metal (GM) or bi-metal (BIM). The mark is therefore an indicator that the badge is not genuine (i.e. a fake or reproduction), or that it is perhaps a genuine badge and the mark has been added to provide spurious verisimilitude.

The following list (not exhaustive) is an attempt to cover badges that have been seen for sale and/or have been identified on this Forum in recent years.

MARPLES & BEASLEY \ BIRMINGHAM

15th Hussars
17th/21st Lancers WM
21st Lancers (VRI) KC GM
22nd Dragoons WM
26th Hussars GM
5th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards KC WM
9th Lancers KC WM
Army Air Corps KC WM
Artists Rifles WM
Duke of Cornwall’s Light Infantry WM
East Lancashire Regiment KC BIM
Glider Pilot Regiment KC WM
Hertfordshire Yeomanry GM
Home Counties Brigade WM
Intelligence Corps KC GM
Lanarkshire Yeomanry GM
Manchester Regiment GM (fleur de lys)
Norfolk Regiment GM
North Irish Horse QC WM
Palestine Police KC WM
Parachute Regiment KC WM
Queen’s Own Yorkshire Yeomanry BIM
Rifle Brigade KC WM
Royal Dragoons BIM
Royal Engineers KC GM
Royal Fusiliers 1st Judean Battalion GM
Royal Norfolk Regiment GM
Royal Ulster Rifles KC WM
South Staffordshire Regiment QC BIM
Special Air Service BIM
Staffordshire Yeomanry KC WM
Staffordshire Yeomanry QC WM
Welsh Regiment WM (2nd VB)
Westmoreland & Cumberland Yeomanry GM

I will post some photos as examples.

Tim

grey_green_acorn 20-11-20 05:32 PM

12 Attachment(s)
More photos:

Tim

grey_green_acorn 20-11-20 09:44 PM

Please comment and add details and images of any examples not listed so far.

Tim

Alex Rice 21-11-20 06:08 AM

Hi Tim
Are you saying that the Marples & Beasley / Birmingham mark is just completely spurious and should be avoided?
Thanks, cheers,
Alex

engr9266 21-11-20 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 529560)
Hi Tim
Are you saying that the Marples & Beasley / Birmingham mark is just completely spurious and should be avoided?
Thanks, cheers,
Alex

Ditto.....:confused:

grey_green_acorn 21-11-20 09:33 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The purpose of this thread is to highlight that it seems from many posts on this Forum that the MARPLES & BEASLEY over BIRMINGHAM mark should not be found on metal 'other ranks' cap badges. The opinions posted are that the badge might be genuine but the mark could have been added or that both the badge and the mark are fake.

Keen to hear other members views. The mark when/if found on officers' badges or on the sliders of anodised badges is a different matter!

This picture shows the availability of replacement sliders.

Tim

Alex Rice 21-11-20 01:30 PM

Hi Tim
Seeing as it is only really O/Rs badges which carry sliders, then we can assume that it is a totally fake and any slider with that mark represents a fake badge?
Sorry for being a bit pedantic here as I think this post is very important and a great topic to question but I just want to make sure I understand 100%!
Cheers,
Alex

grey_green_acorn 21-11-20 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 529591)
Hi Tim
Seeing as it is only really O/Rs badges which carry sliders, then we can assume that it is a totally fake and any slider with that mark represents a fake badge?
Sorry for being a bit pedantic here as I think this post is very important and a great topic to question but I just want to make sure I understand 100%!
Cheers,
Alex

Alex,
There may just be the slight possibility that a genuine badge has had that faked maker mark impressed 'recently' on its slider. Or that a genuine badge has had its slider replaced with a fake maker marked one?

That said I believe all references on the Forum (and there are quite a few - just search "Marples") indicate that ALL other ranks metal badges with sliders maker marked MARPLES & BEASLEY over BIRMINGHAM are fakes.

Still expecting more forensic comments from Forum members.

Tim

grey_green_acorn 30-11-20 04:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
More than 300 views but no suggested additions!
I can add the Highland Yeomanry in wm to the list.

Tim

norfolk regt man 01-12-20 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 529571)
The purpose of this thread is to highlight that it seems from many posts on this Forum that the MARPLES & BEASLEY over BIRMINGHAM mark should not be found on metal 'other ranks' cap badges. The opinions posted are that the badge might be genuine but the mark could have been added or that both the badge and the mark are fake.

Keen to hear other members views. The mark when/if found on officers' badges or on the sliders of anodised badges is a different matter!

This picture shows the availability of replacement sliders.

Tim

Hi Tim, I am sure this is the case, why else would someone buy 20 or 40 sliders if not for repairs.

grey_green_acorn 28-01-21 09:15 PM

Parachute Regiment King’s Crown Marples & Beasley

1 Attachment(s)
Parachute Regiment King’s Crown white metal.

Tim

Fatherofthree 31-01-21 11:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's another, Lancashire Fusiliers.

I've no idea whether or not the badge itself is a good one, but nevertheless it has the spurious slider.

Attachment 240486

Regards.

Brian

grey_green_acorn 01-02-21 06:40 PM

Brian,
Thank you. I am sure there are more out there!

Tim

Phil2M 01-02-21 08:03 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Two London Fire Brigade cap badges, two different patterns used at different time periods.

grey_green_acorn 01-02-21 09:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Phil,
I think that both those LFB badges are genuine with ‘proper’ makers marks.

Genuine mark
The letters are more spaced out (positive kerning);
the ampersand is central between 'MARPLES' and 'BEASLEY';
the three horizontal bars on the second 'E' in 'BEASLEY' are the same length;
the 'B' of 'BIRMINGHAM' is under the 'RP' of 'MARPLES'; and
the 'M' of 'BIRMINGHAM' is under the 'A' of 'BEASLEY'.

Fake mark:
The letters are very close together (negative kerning);
the ampersand is noticeably closer to 'MARPLES' than 'BEASLEY';
the three horizontal bars on the second 'E' in 'BEASLEY' increase in length, top to bottom, appearing to follow the left hand edge of the 'Y' in 'BEASLEY';
the 'B' of 'BIRMINGHAM' is directly under the 'P' of 'MARPLES'; and
the 'M' of 'BIRMINGHAM' is directly under the 'S' of 'BEASLEY'.

Tim