British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Badge Manufacturers (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572)

mufasa 28-02-08 07:20 AM

I do not ever end to thank you for this list ..... bravo Bill+++++++++++++++++

Bantam 28-02-08 03:42 PM

Bill A,
I must congratulate you Bill on a super piece of work that will be an aid to old and new in our badge community.
Well done,
Regards
Bantam

guest_000 28-02-08 09:48 PM

Just a note on materials used in CEF badges. The main material used was BRONZE second brass with a few copper finished ones. Hemesley was famous for their pickle finish over bronze.

LLWill 29-02-08 01:54 AM

Kings Crown Badge Makers

An addition to the list (Name as on badge)
W SCULLY
SCULLY LTD MONTREAL
W SCULLY LTD MONTREAL
JR GAUNT B'HAM
JR GAUNT LONDON
JR GAUNT MONTREAL
HICKS & SONS LONDON
PMP VAN BC
BIRKS
MADE IN ENGLAND

LLWill 29-02-08 02:06 AM

pRE-1914 Makers

So far the only one I have to add to the list is:

GAUNT 53 Conduit St London

Bill A 29-02-08 02:33 AM

Clarification

Larry, Just to confirm, the names in your king's crown list are for the 20 -53 badges?

LLWill 29-02-08 02:49 PM

Maker Marks

Hi Bill!

Yes the Kings Crown Maker Marks are for the 20-53 period.

Did you notice the pre-1914 Maker Mark. Neat!! first one I have run across with an address. It is stamped on a little "plate" afixed to the back of the badge.

Bill A 01-03-08 11:50 AM

Clarification #2

Hi Larry, editing done on the kc list. Please check and confirm that the Birks Made in England is the correct naming?
Sorry, to which pre-1914 maker plate are you referring?

LLWill 01-03-08 04:14 PM

Confirmation on Makers Mark

The badge with the "BIRKS" has a small additional plate that has "MADE IN ENGLAND" as its inscription. The "BIRKS" is stamped on the badge.

The Maker mark with the address is on my Pre-1914 post on page two (2) of this string. It is on a Officers 29th Waterloo Regiment Canada Badge.

guest_000 05-03-08 04:40 PM

THE 229 SHOULDER I currently listed on ebay is maker marked CRIGHTON
MOOSEJAW. IF this is a new maker or different spelling I don't know but had it under magnification and that is all correct.

badgecollector 06-03-08 04:14 AM

3 Attachment(s)
hi
a couple of maple leaf badges just picked up in a big lot of badges.
after reading this thread i looked on the back and found a manufacturer on each. they are also dated? is this common and why was it done?
BC

Bill A 06-03-08 02:11 PM

Marking badges

Paul, thanks for the additional maker, list has been edited. I wonder if Crighton and Creighton may be the same maker? Does anyone have a badge with Creighton on it?
Badgecollector, the naming of badges is fairly common. Referring to the Scully research above, the makers marked their badges, but not all of them that were produced by that maker. There is more research to be done in this area. It also varied depending on the time period. The vast majority of Canadian WW2 badges appear to have been made by Scully, but only a few seem to be marked.
The dating issue is another question. It appears that Ellis Bros and a few other makers dated their badges during WW1. This may have been a contract requirement. (Again, see the note above, reference Scully. Modern Canadian badges made since the early 80's have a year on them somewhere.) The majority of Canadian badges, CEF and king's crown, were not maker marked or dated, so this is somewhat conjecture. More research may add to this.

DavidS 07-03-08 09:34 PM

More CEF makers

A new Marway catalogue, so a few more names to add (possibly) to the CEF list.

Re the Crighton/Creighton question, there are a couple of E210 Moose Jaw badges that are described as marked "Creigton's". Maybe no one at that shop could spell or knew who they worked for, or maybe a typo on the catalogue, as there is an E229 badge described as marked "Creighton's", but I'll send Marway's a note asking for sure.

The following, though, I think are new names:
E59a Brockville marked "SAR & D'BSTERRY. KINGS/1915"
E146 Frontenac marked "KINNEAR D'ESTEN" (?)
E163 Montreal marked "E.V. LAMONTAGENE LIMITED"

As for naming varieties, we get "JACKSON BROS, CENTRAL ALBERTA CANADA" on an E151 Alberta (must be one honking huge badge or very, very small type).

Finally, a favourite if only because I have one, the 1909-1911 pattern Strathcona's Horse Royal Canadian (no "Lord"), maker marked "Caron Bros 1916" (mine actually looks like "CAR & Bros 1916"). An obsolete pattern made and issued in WW1 and, if my guess is correct, worn in WW2 where it was traded to a British soldier in North Africa in 1943.

Bill A 11-03-08 11:03 AM

CEF MAKER MARKS Pt 2

5 Attachment(s)
Additional maker marks, CEF era. Images courtesy of Larry Wills.

Bill A 12-03-08 03:21 PM

CEF MAKER MARKS Pt 3

4 Attachment(s)
Additional maker marks images. Courtesy of Larry Wills.