British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Home Front (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   On War Service 1915 badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80693)

Charliedog012012 11-09-20 10:57 PM

:D:D:D:D:D

leigh kitchen 11-09-20 11:23 PM

Sounds like a man after my own heart - "It's shiney, I want it, gimee gimee".

dumdum 12-09-20 10:15 AM

Thanks guys

Glad to see that what I found was of interest and also got people exploring some humour. Heaven knows we need that these days....

I sometimes think that what I've found might not be that interesting, although it may be new to me, so it's good to see some thoughts on this.

I think that I've posted before on the OWS 1915 & 1916 badges so anyone with renewed interest might like to trawl back and find them.

I do have a nicely gilded 1915 brass badge (4-digit, no letter?) that has been enamel-filled in the "incuse" parts. Also a 1916 badge that has had the same treatment but looks to be an "after market" effort, although who can say.

The 1916 "triangles" certainly got the creative juices flowing and you will find previous posts by me showing at least 4-5 smaller versions in brass and also small silver "dangler" style efforts that would appear to be the work of a professional jeweller.

If anyone can't locate these and would like me to dig them out, I'll be happy to do so!

Cheers

mike_vee 12-09-20 10:55 AM

Regarding the 1916 badges , the only full size ones with 'rounded' corners that I have seen were all made by Wylie & Co. Did anyone else make this style ?

I did find a photo of a 'minature' Gaunt version but have never seen a normal sized one.

http://woolwichasenal.blogspot.com/2013/01/badges.html

dumdum 13-09-20 07:29 AM

Hi Mike

Yes, very similar to my one. I think mine would appear to be made from some type of zinc metal and another is made from brass. The lettering has been punched with a small letter/ number set.

The silver ones are: a struck example that is an almost perfect copy of the full-size one and a hand-engraved piece where the "On War Service" text is rendered in cursive script.

dumdum 13-09-20 07:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi again Mike

Just found this jpg. file for your interest. You'll easily pick out the "home made/ special" 1916 badges.

I've since added a small silver "dangler" with a loop to the top but this wasn't available when I snapped this.

I also see that the "cursive script" one is brass, not silver.

dumdum 13-09-20 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Went to post this and then clicked the wrong button!

This pic shows the gilt/ enamel-filled 1915 badge in the top line, plus a 1916 badge with "service bars". Some years back I saw one that had just one bar mounted swing style.

Were these bars official or another example of a local effort?

mike_vee 13-09-20 08:18 AM

Some great and unusual badges , any chance of a back view of the 'rounded corner' 1916 one (yours is a fine example) ?

At the moment I'm trying to find any 'definitive' information about them and want to compare the markings/numbers etc of the few that I have seen.

Charliedog012012 13-09-20 10:28 AM

Yes I agree there are some really nice examples Dumdum in your collection there and I too think the rounded corner 1916 badge looks to be a really nice example. I am very interested in the white enamel circular badge with the two shells. I assume it was worn by a munition workers but do you have any idea of which company it represents? As to the 1916 badge with the two additional ‘service bars’ I can only assume that it is home made or presented as a ‘Thank you’ tribute badge at the end of the war perhaps?
Cheers
James

mike_vee 13-09-20 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charliedog012012 (Post 522402)
I am very interested in the white enamel circular badge with the two shells. I assume it was worn by a munition workers but do you have any idea of which company it represents?

W.R.W.S stands for "Women's Relief Munitions Worker"

I had no idea but found a thread from 2018 showing a better photo. :D

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=70576

Charliedog012012 13-09-20 11:49 AM

Cheers Mike. That is excellent information. Lovely badge

dumdum 14-09-20 05:51 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello gents

Here they are, as requested. The "W.R.M.W." badge took me ages to work out until I found a mention in Woolcott's "On Her Their Lives Depend". It was purely by chance and the penny finally dropped!

I'd seen one on eBay before, but the seller put the initials in the wrong order ("R.M.W.W." or somesuch....).

I have two sizes, both in silver: 30 mm and 35 mm (this one h/m for 1918 with the maker "T & S"). I did look it up at the time, and I think that it is "Toye & Spencer".

Hope this generates some discussion.

dumdum 14-09-20 07:31 AM

I've just found "T & S" as "Turner & Simpson" of Birmingham.

dumdum 14-09-20 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 522407)
W.R.W.S stands for "Women's Relief Munitions Worker"

I had no idea but found a thread from 2018 showing a better photo. :D

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=70576

Yes, Mike. My badge and my post. Can't recall if this is the h/m one or not.

Cheers!

dumdum 14-09-20 11:10 AM

Hi Mike (and others!)

Having just watched a repeat of "Antiques Roadshow" (at my age I've forgotten lots of it!) I went and dug out some of my OWS badges.

I find that I have two "round cornered" 1916 badges:a real mint one by Gaunt numbered 50906 and a Wylie example numbered 186280 (this has a wrong pin fitted). On the Gaunt badge the corners project a little beyond the Wylie one.

Also located another three odd variations on the 1916 badge including a small enameled brooch bar with the 1916 style triangle but missing the date and crown centre. Wording reads, along the arms of the triangle: "We Are / Helping / To Win"