British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Militaria (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Snake Buckles... (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=54595)

MarkMcM 20-06-16 12:44 PM

Snake Buckles...

Hi All,

Does anyone know if any substantive research exists on 19th c. British military snake buckles? They appear here in the states fairly often, almost invariably characterized with an American Civil War connection (and known to collectors as "blockade buckles", given that imports from England had to get through the Union blockade in order to get material into Confederate territory). I'm sure most of what we see here are WWI period, or at best, late Victorian period. Anyone aware of more detailed analysis?

Mark~

MarkMcM 20-06-16 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
ps: this one was excavated in Virginia

Madziro 21-06-16 11:54 AM

2 Attachment(s)
In similar vein the Rhodesians used a similar design right up to the 1970s.

manchesters 21-06-16 12:33 PM

I used to wear a snake belt at school with silver snake fittings.

regards

GTB 21-06-16 03:00 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Some 'snake' buckles.
Actually, only the top one is a serpent. With scales.
The others are swans, with feathers.

The 'Malta' buckle is Victorian period Royal Malta Artillery/ Royal Malta Fencible Artillery and slightly smaller than the RA 'Ubique' buckle.

GTB

Charlie 585 21-06-16 03:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I believe that this one is more modern though not entirely sure.

Is it though a snake or a swan?

Regards to all.

Ry

MarkMcM 21-06-16 04:00 PM

for comparative purposes alone this thread is already worth it's weight in gold! Thanks, gentlemen!

at57 21-06-16 04:51 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Freemason aprons have used Snake Buckles for well over 100 years and I have scanned a selection. The reverse is either identical to the front or in some cases plain. The one I find of real interest is the double Dragon Head (with teeth) which I imagine was manufactured in the Far East.

Regards
Andrew

GTB 21-06-16 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie 585 (Post 365296)
I believe that this one is more modern though not entirely sure.

Is it though a snake or a swan?

Regards to all.

Ry

Strictly speaking, it is a swan. Snakes don't have beaks. It may be that the snake appellation was given to such buckles on account of the meandering, sinuous 'S' shape.
There is a wide variety of 'snake' buckles, not all necessarily military. Even schoolboys had such, although they were termed 'S' buckles.
During my detecting forays I dug an intriguing serpent buckle, sadly bent and with missing head. It is of very narrow construction and the only similar I have ever seen was illustrated in an online volume of old American insignia and buckles, going back to 18th century (unfortunately I was ever after unable to reconnect with the website and have since misplaced the title!) I recall it was a sword-belt buckle though. Sorry I can't provide a scan or pic at present.

GTB

REMEVMBEA1 22-06-16 09:00 AM

Many years ago I bought a blue material belt of badges with two snake buckles, I unfortunately lost it during a divorce but have never seen one since. I assumed it was WW1 as there were a coiuple of badges, The Cheshires and Isle of white rifles of WW1 design.

MarkMcM 22-06-16 01:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I'm told there are a few interesting examples in this book (which is now on my "books to get" list)...

Tanker Mike 22-06-16 02:38 PM

I had a RNWMP stable jacket that had a nice brown sword belt with the snake buckle, some RNWMP and NWMP buckles had a MP stamped in the middle of the snake.
I believe that some commonwealth regiments wore the brown sword belt with buckle from the Boer war until the late 1930's.

Tanker Mike 22-06-16 06:41 PM

Snake belt

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a snake sword belt with what appears to be nickel plated hardware.

MarkMcM 22-06-16 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tanker Mike (Post 365438)
Here is a snake sword belt with what appears to be nickel plated hardware.

spectacular rig, Mike!

Nathan Holmes 31-05-20 10:48 AM

Can anyone help me identify the origins of this please

I found this today whilst out detecting, I was wondering if anyone here can shed some light on its origins, and whether or not it may have any value.