British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Military Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Coldstream Guards face the axe! (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18153)

grumpy 28-07-11 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 123296)
Surely, if we want an efficient fighting force it is best to axe the pomp and ceremony (and expense of ceremonial uniforms etc) of a Guards Bn and keep a fighting unit that will be useful in combat!

Stephen.

Thats a good stir ........ I recommend it is ignored for the drivel it is.

LONGSHANKS 28-07-11 03:15 PM

I made my comment in a previous thread on Army cut backs in general. Great Britain has to come to terms with the fact we can't police the world as we once did. I'm tired of seeing the Brit's run in first and as they say sacrifice British blood and treasure for the gains of others. I don't see the German's, French, and the rest of Europe lining up behind in a hurry. Yet they all seem to benefit from the efforts of the American's and British forces, with little to no cost. I mean there commitment to global security is near zero as other than the British contingent in the Libyan fiasco, they ran out of ordnance in as little as four week's. Going cap in hand to the US to supply them ASAP.

The simple fact is, without the Afgan and Iraq war these cut back's may not have been necessary, as the budget would not have been burnt on what for the Brit's is the 5th tour of duty in that region since the early 19th century. And on all occasions pointless expenditures in "Blood and Treasure".

Talking to an active member of Her Majesties Forces recently, he told me that the Afgan and Iraq war's will go down as another glorious defeat.

A healthy economy also helps to maintain an army too. I mean the German's have the most healthiest economy and they only have 76,000 in uniform. Why should we have an army equivalent in size, yet an economy 30% smaller. Maybe we should send them all an invoice for our services policing the world.....:cool:

CftD 28-07-11 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter J (Post 123280)
Phil,

I believe the Regiment originated in Coldstream, circa mid-1600s.

Happy to stand corrected on this though :).

PJ

The town signs in Coldstream include 'home of the regiment' and display the breast badge of the Order of the Garter. However, like so many regiments, I doubt many recruits actually come from the town or its surrounding area. But Coldstream is still in Scotland so 1 English, 1 Irish, 1 Welsh and 2 Scots ! No doubt each of the 5 regiments is praying 'not me' at this time of cut backs. David

Phil2M 28-07-11 03:41 PM

I stand corrected.

Phil

peter616 28-07-11 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Counsel for the Defence (Post 123303)
The town signs in Coldstream include 'home of the regiment' and display the breast badge of the Order of the Garter. However, like so many regiments, I doubt many recruits actually come from the town or its surrounding area. But Coldstream is still in Scotland so 1 English, 1 Irish, 1 Welsh and 2 Scots ! No doubt each of the 5 regiments is praying 'not me' at this time of cut backs. David

Hi Dave

Coldstream (Scottish Gaelic: An t-Alltan Fuar) is a small town in the Borders district of Scotland. It lies on the north bank of the River Tweed in Berwickshire, while Northumberland in England lies to the south bank,

peter

grenadierguardsman 28-07-11 04:36 PM

Well Badjez,
Pomp and ceremony eh.............................Yes i suppose the Guards are good at this, raking in loads of money from tourists for our government. As for efficient front line soldiers the Guards well we used to have our own SAS sqn`s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Phil2M 28-07-11 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 123324)
Well Badjez,
Pomp and ceremony eh.............................Yes i suppose the Guards are good at this, raking in loads of money from tourists for our government. As for efficient front line soldiers the Guards well we used to have our own SAS sqn`s!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

All too true, well said that man!

Regards

Phil

CftD 28-07-11 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter616 (Post 123317)
Hi Dave

Coldstream (Scottish Gaelic: An t-Alltan Fuar) is a small town in the Borders district of Scotland. It lies on the north bank of the River Tweed in Berwickshire, while Northumberland in England lies to the south bank,

peter

Peter - Many thanks for the geography lesson. Not an area I know well, of course. David

ORISKANY 28-07-11 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badjez (Post 123296)
Surely, if we want an efficient fighting force it is best to axe the pomp and ceremony (and expense of ceremonial uniforms etc) of a Guards Bn and keep a fighting unit that will be useful in combat!

Stephen.

Stephen,

I can think of a few more sacred cows we could axe, Kings Tp RHA and Household Cavalry Mounted Band spring to mind. Do we really need 5000 odd parachute trained personnel? What is their purpose in this modern time? I seem to remember last time they were used in numbers by parachute, was against the enemy was Suez. I suppose I will create more heat than light with my remarks but every one is entitled to their opinion and I may well be alone.:)

MW.

LONGSHANKS 28-07-11 06:31 PM

I agree MW, if we keep for sentimental or historic value, we'd still have Pikemen.

Simon.

Phil2M 28-07-11 06:37 PM

Simon, we do at the Tower of London. lol.

Phil

LONGSHANKS 28-07-11 06:38 PM

Yeah we do, but that's to keep the American's happy when they pop over...:D

LONGSHANKS 28-07-11 06:41 PM

And there's only 73 of them, would be pricey in battalion size......all those nice uniforms they have......:rolleyes:

Simon

sailorbear 28-07-11 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LONGSHANKS (Post 123354)
I agree MW, if we keep for sentimental or historic value, we'd still have Pikemen.

Simon.

I think we still do, dont we in the Honourable Artillery Company? Maybe thats the answer! to keep our regular army for active service overseas and use our territorial army to undertake home defence, security, admin and ceremonial duties and keep old regiments alive! we already have a large UK only, full time home service force in the form of the Military Provost Guard Service, so why not expand the idea? Just a thought!

LONGSHANKS 28-07-11 06:50 PM

No one's really answered my question why we have a larger army then Germany, who's economy is 30% larger. Even parity with them is economic suicide in some respects. If you can't afford it, you can;'t have it.; this works all over the place -look at the US right now. Wanting all the goodies, but everyone think's their next door neighbor should pay for it, and not them. I mean if you ant to keep the free National Health, something has to be cut to keep it.

Simon.