British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Air Force (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=95)
-   -   SAAF Photographer (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66407)

SAS1 31-01-18 01:28 PM

SAAF Photographer

1 Attachment(s)
I have been told this is an SAAF photographer badge, can anyone confirm?

The construction is right for WW2 period, and I am supposing the prop signifies Leading Aircraftman rank. Would this be LAC photographer, or something else such as a flying photographer or more specifically a ground photographer?

Years ago I saw a lot of an RAF bod who trained in South Africa. It included (if I recall) a 'AP' half wing as he had trained as a photographer. There was a photo of him wearing it and another of him wearing a standard 'O' wing, which he was ordered to put up once he returned to the UK.

Milmed 31-01-18 02:29 PM

Hi,
I have the same badge as was also informed it was SAAF photographer, but have not been able to confirm as to who wore this. It is however similar in design to other SAWAAF badges I have seen, so it may well be a SAWAAF photographer badge.

Steven

SAS1 31-01-18 04:25 PM

Thanks for that Steven, it's something else to think of. Did the SA WAAF have many badges unique to them (outside cap and collar badges)?

There just seems to be so little out there, it's almost like having to put the info together a badge at a time!

I did see a lovely clerks badge, a pinkish quill on a similar backing to this one and tried to buy it only for the seller to say he'd lost It! But I did learn of two other similar - telephone operator and driver (with a telephone and truck respectively).

Milmed 01-02-18 03:06 AM

Your list of SA WAAF badges is same as I am aware of. As far as I am aware they are all unofficial and pretty hard to come by. I have also never seen any of these been worn on a uniform. Unfortunately information is rather scarce on the uniforms and insignia of the SA women's services during WWII.

Steven

SAS1 01-02-18 11:21 AM

Steven

Were those badges I mentioned peculiar to the WAAFS then rather than the SAAF as a whole?

I have images of those three and can post them if you like?

Milmed 01-02-18 11:59 AM

I believe they were exclusive WAAF usage. I too have the images filed away somewhere but you may like to post for the benefit of others.

Steven

Alex Rice 01-02-18 02:31 PM

Hi Guys
I had no idea there was even such a thing so I'd love to see any photos of them.
Cheers,
Alex

SAS1 01-02-18 09:12 PM

I'm on the mobile at the moment Alex but will try and put them up from my laptop in the next couple of days.

Steven, I might even have got two of them from you!

Alex

SAS1 01-02-18 10:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here they are...:)

They are clerk, driver and telephone and switchboard operator (self explanatory)

If you find any more please let me know...!

SAS1 01-02-18 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Any idea what the lower prop is?

Alex Rice 02-02-18 05:12 AM

Fantastic, thanks. Never seen or heard of those before. Always assumed WAAFs would have worn equivalent badges to their male counterparts.
Cheers,
Alex

Milmed 02-02-18 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAS1 (Post 434702)
Any idea what the lower prop is?

Just hazarding a guess at the second prop badge... it may relate to something mechanical. There were WAAFs who maintained aircraft, so they may have worn this badge.

My gran was in the WAAFs, came in as a carpenter and ended up as a parachute packer. She did not keep her uniform, insignia or even apply to get her medals. There is no photographs of her in uniform either. A big contrast to her brother in the SAAF or her sister in the SSS who had tons of pictures, insignia and medals.

Steven

SAS1 02-02-18 07:55 AM

Thanks Steven. I have the photo on file but not the badge, I think I turned it down not knowing exactly what it was.

It's a shame you have no photos of your gran, something I know too well in my own family. My grandfather was on tanks and I had only one photo of him in uniform - his younger brother was an original member of the SAS and had a boxful which his daughter gave away!

Makes you wonder if there were badges for parachute packets and carpenters...

Arthur R 02-02-18 12:31 PM

Hi

Just an observation : the SAAF didn't have the rank of Leading Aircraftsman, wearing a 2-bladed propellor. They had Leading Air Mechanic, whose badge (from 1926) was 4-bladed prop. According to a rank chart published in 1941, the (SA) WAAF's equivalent rank wore a single chevron, like a lance-corporal in the Land Forces.

SAS1 02-02-18 12:57 PM

Thanks for that Arthur, I have a four blade prop badge so should have thought about that. Thanks for the extra info on the SAWAAF stripe. Any chance of adding a scan of the rank chart?

A few years ago I found a rank booklet and it showed the SAAF ranks (stripes and coat of arms with eagle) but had sergeant as the lowest rank shown.