British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   Dorsetshire AA (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41258)

Mike H 21-08-14 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubaiguy (Post 274316)
In some separate email correspondence I was having with Forum member hagwalther (Chris Marsh) prior to the commencement of this thread he'd pointed out the very same thing as Bess & Thomas - that the slider was not original to the badge. I trust Chris doesn't mind me repeating his comment.

Interestingly the badge was originally placed on ebay by Endici at GBP7.99 before it was withdrawn and resubmitted at GBP350. I have no personal issue with that, but an interesting bid run to GBP475 nonetheless.

Cheers
Mark

He did that because he was getting offers for it

Major Dundee 21-08-14 12:37 PM

Thanks Mike
For the explanation.
Paul

hagwalther 22-08-14 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dubaiguy (Post 274316)
In some separate email correspondence I was having with Forum member hagwalther (Chris Marsh) prior to the commencement of this thread he'd pointed out the very same thing as Bess & Thomas - that the slider was not original to the badge. I trust Chris doesn't mind me repeating his comment.

Interestingly the badge was originally placed on ebay by Endici at GBP7.99 before it was withdrawn and resubmitted at GBP350. I have no personal issue with that, but an interesting bid run to GBP475 nonetheless.

Cheers
Mark

Quite right Mark.

The Dorsetshire regiment with the scroll 'DORSETSHIRE' is certainly not a fantasy piece and it is always best to know what one is commenting on before making such statements. A good book may help.

As Mark states. The badge body and slider are from two different pieces which is pretty obvious if one knows anything about the manufacture of A/A badges. Again, a good book may help.

To sell for 475 GBP for an item cobbled together from two different sources, is to me, quite nuts. I would value this item at around 5 GBP.

Regards

Chris

Mike H 22-08-14 05:25 AM

You mean Dorsetshire dont you Chris.

2747andy 22-08-14 05:56 AM

:D

Chris,
I'm sure the good book you refer to is not an Atlas!

Lol

Andy

hagwalther 22-08-14 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 274422)
You mean Dorsetshire dont you Chris.

Sorry Mike - Yes.

Regards,

Chris

hagwalther 22-08-14 06:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2747andy (Post 274429)
:D

Chris,
I'm sure the good book you refer to is not an Atlas!

Lol

Andy

Hi Andy,

Someone told me it was bigger than an Atlas!

Certainly weighs more.

Regards

Chris

2747andy 22-08-14 06:47 AM

:D Yes, it certainly is!

Andy

cavalryman 22-08-14 09:08 PM

A GOOD BOOK

chris, it's not a good book at all! it's so much more than that, an excellent publication with outstanding photography and backed by so much factual information. definitely the serious anodised badge collectors bible, I learned so much from reading this book. especially like the chapters on lugs and sliders. regards john

hagwalther 23-08-14 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cavalryman (Post 274525)
chris, it's not a good book at all! it's so much more than that, an excellent publication with outstanding photography and backed by so much factual information. definitely the serious anodised badge collectors bible, I learned so much from reading this book. especially like the chapters on lugs and sliders. regards john

Thanks John,

Your comment is much appreciated.

Regards

Chris

chris cunniffe 23-08-14 10:31 AM

Dorsetshire

Hi I went for this badge out of a desire to own one my fault for not doing my research or asking the seller has admitted his mistake in not seeing the repair and agreed that it was a no sale chris

Mike H 23-08-14 10:35 AM

Good on you Chris.

William 25-08-14 11:26 AM

So I wonder where is the badge now?

ANGLE IRON 25-08-14 11:41 AM

Are both the Dorset and Dorsetshire anodised of similar rarity or is the Dorsetshire the very scarce one? Kevin

Mike H 25-08-14 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ANGLE IRON (Post 274855)
Are both the Dorset and Dorsetshire anodised of similar rarity or is the Dorsetshire the very scarce one? Kevin

The Dorsetshire is the scarce one Kevin.
Although it appears that there are both void and non void versions of the Dorsetshire.