British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Emanuel School, Battersea (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33550)

Mike Jackson 29-07-13 02:50 PM

Emanuel School, Battersea

I thought this was worth posting because it serves to remind one of just how much detail there is out there to be discovered. Scroll down for the photographs of some of those former pupils killed in the Second World War (and some uniform details such as 23 H collar badges on BD):

http://emanuelschoolatwar.wordpress....oll-of-honour/

oc14 29-07-13 04:00 PM

Very impressive, they seemed to produce quite a few RAF Pilots !

PL

Jibba Jabba 29-07-13 04:18 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know of any serious collectors for the school?

There were two cap badges, two collars and a set of buttons on eBay that made 105 pounds not long ago.

Was it anyone on the forum who bought those? If that person comes forward I may have something to your gain featured in the photograph below.

Postwarden 29-07-13 04:25 PM

Mike,

A very interesting spot - especially as it's my old school. I assume that the pictures were published in wartime editions of the school magazine The Portcullis.

The school continued its military tradition with its postwar CCF, at one time commanded by Lt Col CS Hill, OBE, MM, TD, his MM won as a First World War soldier in (I believe) the Beds and Herts.

In my time the school produced regular officers for the RHA, Worcester & Sherwood Foresters and REME, a Regular Soldier in the Intelligence Corps, a TA Company Commander in 10 Para and a TA WOII (CSM) in the local battalion of the Royal Regiment of Fusiliers.

Jon

Postwarden 29-07-13 04:26 PM

In the time it took me to post my entry the photo of the two officers was posted. The middle one is Lt Col "Charlie" Hill.

Jon

Jibba Jabba 29-07-13 04:28 PM

That photograph is one that they cannot ID at the school. Jon, you should drop them a line to fill them in.

Are you a collector of items pertaining to the school?

Postwarden 29-07-13 04:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I would hope that they could identify Charlie Hill! The other officer and the Cadet WOI might be more difficult although the officer is probably the inspecting officer for the Annual CCF inspection and the WOI should be identifiable from CCF group photos of which I would think they have many.

I don't collect to the school but I do have the personal souvenir shown in the attached photo.

Jon

Jibba Jabba 29-07-13 04:52 PM

PM sent.

EmanuelSchoolatWar 29-07-13 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jibba Jabba (Post 221888)
Does anyone know of any serious collectors for the school?

There were two cap badges, two collars and a set of buttons on eBay that made 105 pounds not long ago.

Was it anyone on the forum who bought those? If that person comes forward I may have something to your gain featured in the photograph below.

Hi,

I am the author of the Emanuel School at War blog. I am also an Old Emanuel. I was speaking with Charles Hill's son this evening so would be very interested in anything that you may have. Charles Hill did indeed win the MM in the First World War and his son has his memoir.

I have been researching the role played by Emanuel alumni in two world wars for a major free public exhibition to be held in November 2014. It is looking to be the largest exhibition of its kind in the UK of any School.

Please let me know.

Many thanks,

Daniel.

Alan O 29-10-20 07:57 PM

https://www.emanuel.org.uk/wp-conten...eld-scaled.jpg

The school JTC in 1942 - Grenadier guards badges?

manchesters 29-10-20 07:58 PM

I would say Royal Fusiliers.

regards

Alan O 29-10-20 08:02 PM

Yes you are right RF.

leigh kitchen 29-10-20 08:06 PM

Yes, more the RF "triangular" flame than the GG rounded flame pattern to the grenade.

Postwarden 30-10-20 10:10 AM

Definitely Royal Fusiliers as it was their badge I wore as a cadet with the school's CCF in the 1960s. The nearest TA unit was in Balham and badged RF, which many of the school's OTC members joined.

Just out of interest the officer at the centre of the photo is Lt Col Charles Hill, MM who taught me geography and was still active in the CCF in the early 1960s.

Like many veterans he was not one to discuss his MM but I believe it was awarded whilst serving with the Bedfordshire Regiment.

Jon

manchesters 30-10-20 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 527172)
Definitely Royal Fusiliers as it was their badge I wore as a cadet with the school's CCF in the 1960s. The nearest TA unit was in Balham and badged RF, which many of the school's OTC members joined.

Just out of interest the officer at the centre of the photo is Lt Col Charles Hill, MM who taught me geography and was still active in the CCF in the early 1960s.

Like many veterans he was not one to discuss his MM but I believe it was awarded whilst serving with the Bedfordshire Regiment.

Jon

You cant get better confirmation than that!!

regards