British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry and Special Forces (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   RAR in Korea (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80011)

irish 28-07-20 02:04 PM

RAR in Korea

Picked this brassard up locally from a largish UN collection. Nice clean example for the 3rd Bn Royal Australian Regiment. Correct me if 3rd Bn is not right. Displaying the insignia of their assignment. Commonwealth Forces patch as well the US. Presidential Unit Citation ribbon. A well made para wing. Possibly Asian made. The wing exhibits some characteristics of what I always associated (rightly or wrongly) with WW2 manufacture. This would likely date to late Korean War. 1953-54 or so. Best Jack

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...c7ac8be8_b.jpg
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/...eab62d0f_b.jpg

slick_mick 28-07-20 07:52 PM

I would say possibly worn in Korean 1953/54.

Mick

irish 28-07-20 10:06 PM

Thanks Mick. Was the RAR Para trained or was it only this individual?
Jack

slick_mick 28-07-20 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish (Post 517674)
Thanks Mick. Was the RAR Para trained or was it only this individual?
Jack

I would say individual.

Delta Coy 6RAR was the first RAR subunit to be para trained and that was in the mid 1980s. 3RAR then became paratroopers up until a couple of years ago.

Mick

Oz Ubique 03-08-20 12:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Nice brassard! here is a pic I took at the AWM.

lifeochil 03-08-20 12:28 AM

Do you think it's made up?
Why would the US. Presidential Unit Citation be there?
What type of wing is that? Has anyone else seen that type of wing from the 50's with those colours?
Nice wing it just seems odd.

slick_mick 03-08-20 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeochil (Post 518216)
Do you think it's made up?
Why would the US. Presidential Unit Citation be there?
What type of wing is that? Has anyone else seen that type of wing from the 50's with those colours?
Nice wing it just seems odd.

3RAR were awarded the PUC for the Battle of Kapyong during the Korean War.

Mick

lifeochil 03-08-20 03:29 AM

I understand that Mick but it was worn on the chest on the right hand side not on a chevron.
I wonder if the recipient, if all of this is kosher, added it to the chevron after his service.
Then there's that different wing that I haven't seen before.

slick_mick 03-08-20 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lifeochil (Post 518225)
I understand that Mick but it was worn on the chest on the right hand side not on a chevron.
I wonder if the recipient, if all of this is kosher, added it to the chevron after his service.
Then there's that different wing that I haven't seen before.

The PUC was worn on the shoulder by many soldiers during the 1950s and 1960s. You can see some examples of this one the AWM website. I've also seen it on other brassards as well.

I also think the wing may well be Malay made. 3RAR served in Malaya from 1957-59 so I think its very possible a para qualified 3RAR digger wore in it in Malaya. It's certainly not an issued wing.

Mick

fairlie63 03-08-20 08:18 AM

The badge was referred to in Australia as the United States Distinguished Unit Citation and was worn on both sleeves immediately below the embroidered shoulder title until the early 1970s at least.

By 1976 it was worn on the right breast immediately above the pocket. Can vouch for that because that's how we wore it in that year. At that time the brooch was the only item on issue.

The gilt edged brooch was referred to in Standing Orders for Dress at least as early as 1952.

The British pattern parachute wings were also approved for use with the Australian Army in 1952.

Yes, this combination of badges could have existed at least by 1952.

We did have an Airborne Platoon at School of Land/Air Warfare from about 1951. The British pattern parachute badge was worn only by instructors, and personnel who had qualified as instructors. Other personnel wore the white parachute on khaki backing.

Keith

irish 03-08-20 06:45 PM

I want to thank everyone whose has commented on the brassard. You by far no better than I. Had never considered it anything other than authentic to the period. There can be no good reason at least to me to fabricate a piece like this. Too obscure IMO.

The para wings are different and my first impression was Asian made.

lifeochil 03-08-20 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fairlie63 (Post 518244)
The badge was referred to in Australia as the United States Distinguished Unit Citation and was worn on both sleeves immediately below the embroidered shoulder title until the early 1970s at least.

By 1976 it was worn on the right breast immediately above the pocket. Can vouch for that because that's how we wore it in that year. At that time the brooch was the only item on issue.

The gilt edged brooch was referred to in Standing Orders for Dress at least as early as 1952.

The British pattern parachute wings were also approved for use with the Australian Army in 1952.

Yes, this combination of badges could have existed at least by 1952.

We did have an Airborne Platoon at School of Land/Air Warfare from about 1951. The British pattern parachute badge was worn only by instructors, and personnel who had qualified as instructors. Other personnel wore the white parachute on khaki backing.

Keith

Thanks for that info Keith.

3battalion 04-08-20 11:29 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just my two cents, I believe the brassard is original and post 1953 given the grown on the 1st Commonwealth Division badge.

Attached is one of my favourite photos showing members of the AATTV with the PUC worn on the sleeve.

As for the wing, I believe it's most likely a Japanese made wing given the fine materials used in the construction.

Lovely brassard Jack

Paul

irish 04-08-20 12:41 PM

Paul.... Thanks for your input. Great photo, interesting in that some are wearing two PUC’s on their sleeve. As opposed to one with an oak leaf cluster attached too denote 2nd award.

Japanese made wing sounds logical. The craftsmanship is quite good. On the blue wings themselves the threads have been sewn in 3 different directions. Took a bit of time.

Best
Jack

lifeochil 05-08-20 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3battalion (Post 518404)
Just my two cents, I believe the brassard is original and post 1953 given the grown on the 1st Commonwealth Division badge.

Attached is one of my favourite photos showing members of the AATTV with the PUC worn on the sleeve.

As for the wing, I believe it's most likely a Japanese made wing given the fine materials used in the construction.

Lovely brassard Jack

Paul

Major service and gongs there. From memory, I think one is a DCM but I could be wrong.