British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Genuine Rhodesian African Rifles beret? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=87570)

GatinhoDeGato123 04-12-21 11:27 AM

Genuine Rhodesian African Rifles beret?

2 Attachment(s)
Hello everyone,

I recently bought this beret of the Rhodesian African Rifles, and I'm just looking to know whether or not it's genuine or fake. To me, it seems that it's a real one, given that the beret colour is correct, the two airholes (I think they're called) are present, and the badge is present aswell, ofcourse. To my knowledge, because this is a smaller badge, I believe it could be an officer version, but I'll leave that up to debate.

Apologies if the pictures aren't very high quality.

Loski 04-12-21 01:32 PM

2 Attachment(s)
The badge is of the size of an officers silver beret badge other ranks white metal collar badge, the officers silver will be marked as such and be marked Firmin London or Reuitler Salisbury.
Does the beret have a leather patch behind the badge like the first Selous Scouts beret attached as well as the vent gromets, It would appear to have the correct cloth sweat band for an officers one is there any sign of there have been a lable in the top the Botswana hat co lable was of a rectangular shape like the one in the second Selous scouts beret attached. For reference the beret with the label and cloth sweat band is an officers beret, the one without and the one with the vinyl sweat band is an other ranks,

GatinhoDeGato123 04-12-21 02:08 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hello Loski,

I've attached two pictures below, one of the leather patch and one of the airholes. I can't seem to find any labels, however.

Loski 04-12-21 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatinhoDeGato123 (Post 566588)
Hello Loski,

I've attached two pictures below, one of the leather patch and one of the airholes. I can't seem to find any labels, however.

That looks like a kosher officers beret but I think the badge is an other ranks collar badge but officers sometimes used highly polished ors badges as they had to purchase replacement silvers if they were lost.

Loski 04-12-21 04:52 PM

1 Attachment(s)
These are the RAR bits I have in my collection top beret is an officers with a pre UDI hallmarked Firmin silver badge, below it is an ors with a white metal Mathews of Bulawayo badge.

GatinhoDeGato123 05-12-21 11:20 AM

Hello Loski,

I don't think it is a collar badge. It'd be rather strange to attach a collar badge to a beret. Though, to my knowledge, the officers beret and collar badge were virtually the same.

However, I must compliment you on your berets and belts, they are very nice!

Loski 09-01-22 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GatinhoDeGato123 (Post 566692)
Hello Loski,

I don't think it is a collar badge. It'd be rather strange to attach a collar badge to a beret. Though, to my knowledge, the officers beret and collar badge were virtually the same.

However, I must compliment you on your berets and belts, they are very nice!

Sorry for the delay in replying
In actual fact the officers silver beret and collar badges and the other ranks collar badges were struck from the same dies the only change being the material the badges were made from.
The only way to be sure is to remove the badge and have a look at the back Rhodesian made badges will be marked Reuteler Silver and have brass lugs UK made badges are marked firmin London and are hallmarked and have silver lugs Ors badges are made from white metal and have brass lugs
Graham