British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Royal Irish Rangers (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83666)

Alex Rice 08-03-21 09:33 AM

Royal Irish Rangers

Hi All
I am looking for an RIR officer caubeen/beret badge. Can anyone please post a pic of what I should be looking for? Were the badges 'all ranks' or were they different for officers? I have seen a number of metal badges on sale but don't know if they are O/R badges, officer badges or both.
Thanks, cheers,
Alex

Flatdog 09-03-21 03:55 AM

Hi Alex,

The "All Ranks" badges are exactly that. Although it would not be out of place for a private purchase Silver badge to be acquired, though I've never seen one in the wild. Hopefully someone with more knowledge will chime in.

Clay

leigh kitchen 09-03-21 08:11 AM

Were not Royal Irish Rangers officers badges silver and gilt, or at least, prior to "new metal" badges?

grey_green_acorn 09-03-21 09:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Royal Irish Rangers formed in 1968 and existed until 1992 when merged with the Ulster Defence Regiment CGC into the Royal Irish (R IRISH) During that period an Officer's badge, worn in the Caubeen, was available under NSN 8455-99-130-3697 pattern Number 30197 Officers; Nickel silver. Gilt and silver or rhodium plated, gold and silver. (see JSP768 extract)

New badges were introduced for the Royal Irish from 1992 but the Royal Irish Rangers cap badge continued to be worn by the Territorial Battalion 4/5 RANGERS from 1993 until 2014 when, on reorganization, they became 2 R IRISH the Army Reserve Battalion and wear the same badges as 1 R IRISH the regular battalion.

Tim

Alex Rice 09-03-21 03:24 PM

Thanks for all the replies, at least I know what to look for. An all-ranks will be fine for my needs.
Cheers,
Alex

grey_green_acorn 09-03-21 03:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
“All Ranks” badges are a fairly recent innovation and mainly produced in the “Options for change” period of the mid 1990s. As far as i know there is no issued “all ranks’ Royal Irish Rangers badge, but there is one for the Royal Irish. All metal Royal Irish Rangers badges are most likely to be PRI (unit shop) badges which would have been worn in preference to the issue anodised badge.

Shown below “all ranks’ Royal Irish badge and bimetallic/new metal Royal Irish Rangers PRI sourced badge

Tim

leigh kitchen 09-03-21 04:11 PM

The new metal Royal Irish Rangers badge - it's a one piece badge with gold coloured plating applied over the silver coloured?

grey_green_acorn 09-03-21 06:22 PM

6 Attachment(s)
I have just looked over a small selection of my Royal Irish Rangers badges and have found that I actually have the Officers rhodium plated gold and silver badge.

Shown below:
Bimetallic/new metal PRI badge with slider - good quality
Bimetal PRI badge - with slider - poor quality, note harp string overlays missing
Rhodium plated officers badge with two lugs marked FIRMIN behind scroll - note ‘quiff’ on top of angel’s head!

Tim

leigh kitchen 09-03-21 06:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
That third one'll be the "La Roux variation" then: