British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Sikh -sidecap (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=80027)

billy 28-07-20 08:58 PM

Sikh -sidecap

Hi local Antique shop has a Sikh sidecap, buttons are there but missing a badge, though evidence of two lugs as holes are there for the badge, it was going for £75 ? Is this about right for such? The bloke selling it is quite knowledgeable on Militaria but price amazed me, is this of interest to anyone? He will be there Saturday am sure, thought would post as see there is an interest in Indian badges, all the best billy

Wmr-RHB 29-07-20 07:40 AM

Which Sikh would ever wear a sidecap?

sapper533 29-07-20 07:43 AM

British Officer?

Wmr-RHB 29-07-20 07:52 AM

Maybe sidecap of a British officer of a Sikh regiment (which is something different then a "Sikh sidecap"). But to come to such a conclusion one must identify the sidecap as belonging to a sikh regiment, of which I see no evidence in the post above. No decription of colour, or of the buttons (that seem to be available) or anything at all.

billy 29-07-20 05:33 PM

Hi all don't collect to the Indian Rgts was putting it out there in case one of you where interested in it, I could have returned and took a picture for you, when Brian told me what he had I also thought "Turban" but took a look at it while examining his case of badges, came to the conclusion as already stated as it was a European Officer, Henk I take offence by your comment!

Wmr-RHB 29-07-20 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by billy (Post 517749)
Henk I take offence by your comment!

I do not exactly understand why, but I apoligize when you do. My only intention is get as much useful information as possible in a thread to the benefit of all.

Khyber 30-07-20 07:18 AM

No sidecaps for Sikh regiments I think except maybe British officers, but not sure..

However, I have noticed that most items to Sikh regiments always go for high prices, as there are apparently a lot of collectors out there in the UK who collect to Sikh regiments..

Also there are many well-off Non-Resident Indian (NRI) Sikhs in the UK who are buying up everything - this was told to me by a dealer in the UK

cbuehler 30-07-20 03:42 PM

Indeed, Sikh regiments are apparently the most sought after and expensive of all the old Indian Army badges. I collect Indian Army and have few insignia for them.
Hard to find and expensive!
The "side caps" or more properly field service caps, would be worn only by British officers of the Sikh regiments.

CB

billy 01-08-20 02:27 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Here is the Sidecap if anyone is interested!

Wmr-RHB 01-08-20 02:41 PM

Very nice!

The buttons indeed say Sikhs and have a quoit. But alas no number.
I think this rules out the chance that this is from an officer of a Sikh company in an otherwise non-Sikh (Punjab) regiment (the original description left that option open). Them being regimental and not company buttons.

Interesting colour combination.

Wmr-RHB 01-08-20 02:56 PM

The colour suggests to me one of the Frontier Force regiments: 51st, 52nd, 53rd or 54th Sikhs.
All had drab uniforms.
The 53rd had red facings from 1870.
The 54th had green, from 1888 emerald green, facing colour

That is all I can find in Boris Moll's "The Indian Army".

manchesters 01-08-20 03:11 PM

Cant see £75 worth there Billy like you first said.

With a badge on it, maybe.

regards

billy 01-08-20 03:23 PM

Know nothing on Indian Militaria, put it up there in case Forum member might see something in it they liked, perhaps even find it an item they where after? As you say with the badge I could see it as £75 but as it is ?? Henk has added much more info on it to further inform us all, all the best billy

cbuehler 02-08-20 01:11 AM

The buttons are that of the 11th Sikh Regiment, post 1922 of course. The green and red colors of the side cap would concur with this. It was worn by a British officer of the regiment. Shame that the badge is missing. It would prove difficult and expensive to replace with the current popularity of the Sikh regiments.
It would be well worth the price if one had the badge. A rare cap!
CB

cbuehler 02-08-20 01:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 518026)
Cant see £75 worth there Billy like you first said.

With a badge on it, maybe.

regards

The badge itself would be worth 75 in today's collecting climate! I should add that the badge was a plain silver quoit, or a quoit surmounted with the POW feathers, depending upon the specific battalion.

CB