British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Royal Australian Navy and Air Force (RAN & RAAF) (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=63)
-   -   HMAS SYDNEY tally band (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69192)

fairlie63 10-08-18 09:11 AM

HMAS SYDNEY tally band

2 Attachment(s)
I wonder if any viewer can identify the time period this cap tally may have been manufactured by its style of weave or material.

The family to whom this belongs had a member who went down with HMAS SYDNEY (2) in 1941. They wish to know if this might have been original to the man himself, or whether it is a later acquisition by his immediate family.

Thanks, Keith

Lancer 17 11-08-18 02:01 AM

Hi Keith

Sorry I cant help not that good at things nautical.

Maybe send a scan to the museum at HMAS Cerberus they may be able to help out. Sorry I don't have an email address, but Marty Grogin is your man.

Regards

Phil.

Lancer 17 11-08-18 03:03 AM

Hi Keith, again

Ive pulled a few strings and now have an email address for Marti Grogan coming next week. I know a CPO who is an instructor at Cerberus and she will get me his email next week. I will let you know. But maybe a couple of better photos may help to.

Regards

Phil.

Jackhr 11-08-18 06:18 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of the one at the AWM so compare the style and lettering .

Cheers Rob

Nozzer 11-08-18 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 451090)
Here is a photo of the one at the AWM so compare the style and lettering .

Cheers Rob

Is there a full stop after SYDNEY? There looks to be, but I can't be sure and it could be a mark. Did The Royal Australian Navy follow the same format as the RN at this time, i.e. a full stop after the ships name?

Jackhr 11-08-18 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozzer (Post 451093)
Is there a full stop after SYDNEY? There looks to be, but I can't be sure and it could be a mark. Did The Royal Australian Navy follow the same format as the RN at this time, i.e. a full stop after the ships name?

Just a mark no full stop

Nozzer 11-08-18 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 451095)
Just a mark no full stop

fairlie63 11-08-18 07:18 AM

Hello gentlemen, thanks for the responses and the assistance.

I will drag out my RA ARTILLERY cap tally from the 1930s and see if there are any similarities in construction.

Just a mark I think Nozzer on the AWM picture.

Keith

Lancer 17 11-08-18 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nozzer (Post 451093)

G'day Nozzer

Im currently at the Upwey/Belgrave RSL, Running Rabbits Military Museum and am looking at a large frame with a collection of about 160 different RAN Tally Bands. Whilst there are dots after the HMAS letters there is no dot or mark after the ship's name. There is also a smaller frame of HMS tally bands and these also have dots after the HMS letters but no dot or mark after the ships name.

I hope that this helps.

Regards Phil.

Lancer 17 13-08-18 07:22 AM

Hi Keith

Ive now got an email address for Marti Grogan its

martin.grogan1@defence.gov.au

Hope that this helps.

Regards Phil.

fairlie63 13-08-18 07:58 AM

Thanks Phil,
Fast work.
Cheers, Keith

Lancer 17 13-08-18 09:33 AM

Hi Keith

Pleased to help, you have done a few for me, so its good to be able to get one back.

Cheers phil.

Nozzer 13-08-18 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lancer 17 (Post 451103)
G'day Nozzer

Im currently at the Upwey/Belgrave RSL, Running Rabbits Military Museum and am looking at a large frame with a collection of about 160 different RAN Tally Bands. Whilst there are dots after the HMAS letters there is no dot or mark after the ship's name. There is also a smaller frame of HMS tally bands and these also have dots after the HMS letters but no dot or mark after the ships name.

I hope that this helps.

Regards Phil.

Thanks for that.