British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of Australian Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Tasmanian Rangers (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37353)

Drummajor 01-02-14 02:38 AM

Tasmanian Rangers

2 Attachment(s)
Here are two pictures of Zeehan F Company The Tasmanian Rangers, winners of the McCall Shield, 1909 and 1910.

Donny B. 01-02-14 05:08 AM

Lovely photo!

Was the McCall shield a shooting prize? I imagine it was because of the crossed rifles shown on it. If so, I notice that one of the fellows was using a MLE (or maybe MLM). I wonder if that was from choice or because of a mis match of equipment in the unit.

I Man

Drummajor 01-02-14 06:14 AM

Yes it was a shooting prize, I know nothing about the rifles, what is a MLE or MLM?

badgecollector 01-02-14 06:37 AM

fantastic photos,
what hat badge would they be wearing and it looks to be sitting on a ribbon of some sort
bc

Drummajor 01-02-14 07:14 AM

I can't find a picture of the badge (Not one I can pinch anyway) so I will try to describe it.
[I]A belted quoit topped with a kings crown surrounded by a laurel wreath, inside the quoit a lion passant on a torse. Below a scroll bearing the words "When Duty Calls"
Not unlike your own avatar.

Donny B. 01-02-14 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummajor (Post 248043)
Yes it was a shooting prize, I know nothing about the rifles, what is a MLE or MLM?

Magazine Lee Enfield or Magazine Lee Metford...........being held by the chap sitting in centre front of the second photo. It appears to have a longer barrel and the pattern 1888 bayonet lug.

Donny B.

Drummajor 01-02-14 09:26 AM

OK, good info thanks Donny.

badgecollector 01-02-14 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummajor (Post 248045)
I can't find a picture of the badge (Not one I can pinch anyway) so I will try to describe it.
[I]A belted quoit topped with a kings crown surrounded by a laurel wreath, inside the quoit a lion passant on a torse. Below a scroll bearing the words "When Duty Calls"
Not unlike your own avatar.

thanks drummajor
i know the badge, but it looks like it is on a rosette.
not sure ive seen the rosette before?
or are my eyes seeing things?
bc

Drummajor 01-02-14 09:56 PM

Yes BC, they are definitely rosettes, can't see the hat badges so I just assumed they were the Tasmanian Rangers badge. In the first pic only two are wearing collar badges but they are different badges, second pic collar badges all the same. You have got me thinking now, I will travel over to Zeehan (Only 45 minutes from my place) and visit the museum to try to find out more. The Zeehan RSL may be able to help as well.
Drummajor.

slick_mick 01-02-14 10:19 PM

Thanks for sharing! Great pics indeed.

Mick

badgecollector 02-02-14 05:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Drummajor (Post 248143)
Yes BC, they are definitely rosettes, can't see the hat badges so I just assumed they were the Tasmanian Rangers badge. In the first pic only two are wearing collar badges but they are different badges, second pic collar badges all the same. You have got me thinking now, I will travel over to Zeehan (Only 45 minutes from my place) and visit the museum to try to find out more. The Zeehan RSL may be able to help as well.
Drummajor.

Thanks mate
The use of the rosette I would have thought is uncommon particularly with the colonial Aussie troops.
The only one I can think of is the coronation contingent who wore the first pattern rising sun on a rosette.
Would be very interested to hear from you regarding any discoveries you make
Cheers
BC

Drummajor 02-02-14 08:52 AM

Ok BC, will look further in to it, I have contacted the museum in Zeehan they do not have a military section it is basically a mining museum. I think there is a bloke here in Tassie that researches all these subjects, writes a lot of books and makes CDs. Will try and contact him. Stay tuned might take a while.
Phil.

Drummajor 26-02-14 12:47 AM

Hello All,
Have found out the following:
Tasmanian Rangers 1903-1914. On the 16th May 1903 the commonwealth gazette notified the approval by his Excellency The Governor General, of a new uniform for the military forces of the commonwealth.

The ornaments for the hat were:
Staff- Red and white cock plumes.
Light Horse (Tasmania)- Emu feathers and regimental badge.
Infantry- Black rosette and regimental badge or number.

1st of July 1903, The Tasmanian Rangers adopted new hat and collar badges, depicting the Tasmanian tiger moulded in whitemetal with the title "Tasmanian Rangers" underneath.

Phil.

blackdraggon11 26-02-14 12:54 AM

good info phil
ted

blackdraggon11 27-02-14 01:07 AM

Hi Phil
would you have a pic of the badge with rossette
cheers ted