British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   18th Light anti Aircraft Artillery Rgt 5th Division (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81872)

loupie1961 20-11-20 02:32 PM

18th Light anti Aircraft Artillery Rgt 5th Division

2 Attachment(s)
I have recently purchased this beauty: a combo sign of the 18th Light Antiaircraft artillery Regiment comprehensive of printed canvas late war 5th Division flash, Artillery arm of service strip and printed canvas 18th LAA flash.Comments ad considerations appreciated, as always.

Sonofacqms 20-11-20 04:04 PM

Combination patches

For some reason I have never been a big fan of this type of insignia, there seems to be more around now than there was sixty years ago.

Quite how this one was meant to be used is beyond me, it certainly is not a slip-on, perhaps someone can help me out with an explanation.

Rob

Home Guard 20-11-20 04:44 PM

I think it's a very fine piece and love the used/seeing action condition!!!

Terry

54Bty 20-11-20 06:05 PM

My understanding of these "Combination Patches" is that they were made by unit tailors to make it easier for them to apply in one go those badges required by the wearer. So being hand sewn makes on sense, as that would be three jobs to sew the badges on and another to sew the patch to the sleeve, twice.

Maybe I am wrong.

Marc

Sonofacqms 22-11-20 09:53 PM

Combination patches

Thanks for the explanation, I do have the odd one on a slip-on title.

Rob

cbuehler 23-11-20 05:33 PM

While I too share some concerns regarding these combination signs, I have been doing more research to find photos of them in wear, and they appear to be more common than perhaps thought. Many photos are not clear enough to be sure, but some clearly show them in use.
I believe they were not only made up by unit tailors, but sometimes by the men themselves or even wives or mothers if home based.
Most of the questionable examples tend to look it; while there are quite a few that certainly appear unquestionable and I think this is 5th Div. is one of them.
I have read that they were more often seen on home based divisions, but units in the field, having all badges on one piece, also made removal and reattachment very convenient when required.
CB

cbuehler 23-11-20 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonofacqms (Post 529773)
Thanks for the explanation, I do have the odd one on a slip-on title.

Rob

I think most of the slip on type for the shoulder straps were for units in hot weather areas and not usually seen on BD blouses, but this may have happened as well.

CB

NEMO 06-12-20 01:14 PM

The combination at the top of the page is as honest as the days long ( nice find congratulations ) BUT I to agree they seem to be every where now where as 30 years ago they were near impossible to find ? the vast majority out thee now are copies - a big clue the fakers are using 1960`s 1970s british army puttie material which is a millions miles away from War time Battle dress just look through a few examples on ebay and you will soon spot what I mean ( god bless Grey bear )