British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Veterans Arm Bands (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2424)

guest_000 30-06-08 06:42 PM

Veterans Arm Bands

1 Attachment(s)
I have a considerable collection of these arm bands and other veteran memorabilia and wonder if we could start a thread on this subject. Here is one of the first attributed to the RED CHEVRON CLUB the forerunner to the Canadian legion and was formed from first div members initaially who where entitled to wear the the red chevron. The club had charters throughout the major cities of CANADA but only the red armbands for TORONTO and Hamilton have ever surfaced.I have the hand written charter for EDMONTON with all the members listed but very little is known of the club.

guest_000 30-06-08 06:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
some more group pics of the collection of mounted pieces and vet berets

guest_000 30-06-08 06:58 PM

4 Attachment(s)
and more of the group items. Will scan some single armbands if the interest is there later

PAUL

guest_000 30-06-08 07:07 PM

2 Attachment(s)
here are a couple more frames. Please post your armbands or veteran berets . I would like to see what is out there that I have not recorded yet.

mad4thcef 30-06-08 08:45 PM

Vet Armbands

1 Attachment(s)
Paul This is the only one I have!

Cheers
Rob
Mad4thcef

boots and saddles 30-06-08 10:04 PM

Paul that's a nice collection & must have taken some time to assemble. Ray

guest_000 30-06-08 10:34 PM

Thanks Ray actually have many more not framed and yes these do not turn up all that often. They where sold during the great depression and not many had the funds to buy one so they are rarer than one might think. It is hard to get a grip on how many where made and what units are represented so always on the look out and yes want to purchase any I can add to the collection.

PAUL

guest_000 30-06-08 10:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
THE VET armbands where made in two qualities high and low as shown here on the two 75th battn pieces the kahki one being the lower quality and I do not think this was reserved for officers.

guest_000 01-07-08 03:39 AM

4 Attachment(s)
HERE are some vet crests for the blazers

mad4thcef 03-07-08 05:42 PM

Veterans Pics

3 Attachment(s)
Along with the 4th armband I am posting pictures of my grandfather Oliver Lambert who enlisted Jan 5/1916 with 111th Bn CEF South Waterloo. He went to the 4th Bn Infantry as a reinforcement Nov 14/1916.

He was wounded at Hill 70 Feb 26/1918 which left him unfit for further service and a wound that would bother him for the rest of his life.

I have attached 3 pictures.

The picture of him with red beret w/ 4th Bn badge was taken in the 40's
most likely around the time of the 111th BN Association reunion.

Thanx for looking!

guest_000 04-07-08 06:57 PM

3 Attachment(s)
three more armbands the first is to the 2nd battn IRISH RGT ON ACTUAL TARTAN of high quality and I have always been suspicious that this has been a period recruiters armband worn by an officer. second is a vet armband to the 21st battn and last is a period recruiter armband for the 2nd battn with outside possibility of it being a vet piece.

Bill A 04-07-08 09:22 PM

Paul, the first and last armbands are likely recruiting or recruit armbands WW2 era. The lack of uniforms early in the war was accomodated with armbands. New recruits were identified as enroled by wearing the armband. They were also worn by recruiters, as you indicate.
I have a similar one as the 2nd Bn IR but for the Canadian Black Watch, and I have the same Ont R one. The ONT R one came from a vet who enlisted in the 2nd Bn Ont R and then went active when he was old enough.
These armbands are extremely hard to acquire, and the Irish Regt one is likely making Cliff think of selling his kids and wife.

guest_000 04-07-08 10:32 PM

yes waiting for a reaction to the IRISH ONE. Also I think armbands may have been issued upon recruitment due to lack of uniforms and ones like the ontario one my be such

guest_000 04-07-08 11:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
HERE IS A HUGE ONE worn by a recruiter for the 98th battn

guest_000 05-07-08 03:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
this one to the 26th battn odd in that it has elastic bands for wearing over different size clothing.