British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   1945 dated Parachute Regiment Kangol (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74000)

High Wood 02-06-19 01:03 PM

1945 dated Parachute Regiment Kangol

5 Attachment(s)
This getting up early lark is beginning to pay dividends. Some moth damage so it will be spending the next few days in the freezer. Absolutely oroginal, 1945 dated and almost certainly unissued.

My only question is: do I add my Parachute Regiment cap badge, and if so, where exactly should it be fitted?

leigh kitchen 02-06-19 01:12 PM

I wouldn't add a badge if it hasn't had one, but that's just me.
It's down to whatever you fancy.

High Wood 02-06-19 01:20 PM

I would tend to agree but I have had this cap badge since December 2016 which, incidentally, I bought from the same house clearance people as today's purchase.

I am not sure which is more sad, a Parachute Regiment red beret without a badge or a Parachute Regiment badge without a red beret.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ctureid=135275

leigh kitchen 02-06-19 01:24 PM

I suspect a certain forum member, Ms Tigerlily, will be even sadder that she hasn't aquired it.......

Any chance your house clearance people may be able to provide any provenance, albeit the beret's unworn?

JerryBB 02-06-19 01:40 PM

A very good find and the badge you have would be an earlier war example and looks well rubbed, so perhaps not appropriate for a 45 dated beret, still both are lovely items.

High Wood 02-06-19 01:45 PM

There is certainly a chance and often there is accompanying paperwork with items that I get from them. They also tend to dribble items out over several weekends as they go through the clearance and find out exactly what they have got. I get offered all the obviously military items, another bloke gets offered any vintage tools, another gets gardening items and so on.

Frank Kelley 02-06-19 03:48 PM

I would just leave it alone.

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 480026)
This getting up early lark is beginning to pay dividends. Some moth damage so it will be spending the next few days in the freezer. Absolutely oroginal, 1945 dated and almost certainly unissued.

My only question is: do I add my Parachute Regiment cap badge, and if so, where exactly should it be fitted?

NEMO 02-06-19 04:44 PM

leave it be - IT WILL ONLY BE ORIGINAL ONCE.

High Wood 02-06-19 05:16 PM

Message received loud and clear.

Mike B 02-06-19 06:05 PM

Good sense spoken in this thread - the beret tells its own story, and you can not be sure a Parachute Regiment badge is relevant to the original owner of the beret - it could have been a member of several Arms, Services, Corps etc. I guess I am a bit of a purist, but certainly agree - leave it as it is. If no damage would be done you could stick it in a frame with the badge resting on the beret in appropriate position, or just with it, without making holes in the beret.
Great find
Mike

Not sure what the least acceptable context is - an earlier badge on a later beret - or later badge on earlier beret?

akiko 02-06-19 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEMO (Post 480047)
leave it be - IT WILL ONLY BE ORIGINAL ONCE.

Exactly!

Tigerlily 07-06-19 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 480031)
I suspect a certain forum member, Ms Tigerlily, will be even sadder that she hasn't aquired it.......

Any chance your house clearance people may be able to provide any provenance, albeit the beret's unworn?

It has a good custodian so I'm not sad, very nice beret.

leigh kitchen 07-06-19 06:44 PM

Hmmm I think you're smiling through the tears - I suspect you'd be a little more envious if it were a "Suez" date?

Tigerlily 07-06-19 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 480505)
Hmmm I think you're smiling through the tears - I suspect you'd be a little more envious if it were a "Suez" date?

Suez date would be nice, but nope, no envy, just a little sad due to not having my fathers gear in the family anymore as you know. Hence my saying I know this beret has a good custodian. I like to think all my dads stuff is with someone who will treasure it also.

Frank Kelley 07-06-19 07:25 PM

You do not have your fathers stuff?:(
What did it consist of and where might it be now?
This is not good!:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tigerlily (Post 480509)
Suez date would be nice, but nope, no envy, just a little sad due to not having my fathers gear in the family anymore as you know. Hence my saying I know this beret has a good custodian. I like to think all my dads stuff is with someone who will treasure it also.