British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Iraq Levies Silver Officers - What should one pay? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64106)

Jibba Jabba 04-09-17 01:29 PM

Iraq Levies Silver Officers - What should one pay?

My friend has offered to me a genuine Iraq Levies Silver officers (cast) badge. The sort with the long thin stick pin rectangular slider.

I would like to make an offer that is honest Does anyone know what is the correct money to pay?

Having trawled through every concept500 web site and what material remains online from past Bosleys sales I have been unable to reach a price.

Kindest regards.

Eddie Parks 04-09-17 02:01 PM

I haven't been keeping track, but I do know they tend to be rather expensive!

Roy 04-09-17 02:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Are you 100% sure it is silver?

Here is a photo of my example. It looks silver but is not. As to price for the cap and shoulder badges I think my total was around £150

Cheerio,

Roy

Jibba Jabba 04-09-17 04:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Thank you for your replies chaps.

To answer your question Roy....yes....silver officers. I have tested the oxide.

Did officers also wear a white metal badge?

This one has the broken slider so with that reasoning and your estimations....100 should be fine?

Same badge top left: http://www.britairforce.com/raf_levies.htm

Roy 04-09-17 04:27 PM

Hi,

It certainly looks like silver too. A lovely looking badge, shame about the slider but there you go.

The price certainly seems in the ball park.

Good luck and let us know how you get on.

Cheerio,

Roy

Jibba Jabba 04-09-17 04:35 PM

Will do Roy. Will show the seller the thread.

Last time I wasn't able to secure that rather nice Sudanese Railways badge I wanted :-(

Eddie Parks 05-09-17 01:52 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi

Officers badges were all silver, locally made and thus there are infinite varieties. Price seems a touch high for a damaged version but they are hard to find.

OR's had brass cap badges also with a pin so that they slid into the pugree of a slouch hat. These vary from crude to well made. Also brass shoulder titles in qualities to match.

There were also Battalion versions in brass.

Jibba Jabba 08-09-17 08:26 AM

I was successful in regards that bid.

Thank you for the information Mr Parks.

Eddie Parks 08-09-17 09:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Just in case you are contemplating a repair this pic will give you the dimensions. It's much more a pugree/hat pin than a slider. Sorry about the focus!

Jibba Jabba 08-09-17 11:17 AM

Thank you for the pic Mr Parks.

As with everything I buy, I prefer to leave 'as found'. People who have bought from me on the forum know that I prefer to sell this way.

The oxidisation in my opinion helps to authenticate a piece, despite the fact many are in a hurry to remove it.

JerryBB 07-09-19 12:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eddie Parks (Post 419349)
Hi

Officers badges were all silver, locally made and thus there are infinite varieties. Price seems a touch high for a damaged version but they are hard to find.

OR's had brass cap badges also with a pin so that they slid into the pugree of a slouch hat. These vary from crude to well made. Also brass shoulder titles in qualities to match.

There were also Battalion versions in brass.

Having searched through the forum, this one is the only thread that shows something that matches the OR's badges I have that were part of the lot of for the Iraq Levies I showed last week

Phil2M 07-09-19 09:46 PM

Very nice, Jerry. Great to see them.

JerryBB 08-09-19 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 487958)
Very nice, Jerry. Great to see them.

Thanks Phil, good to see that I am not the only one who liked these.

The forum seems very quiet these days.