British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Colouring of WW1 photos (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70680)

Jeff Mc William 11-11-18 04:29 PM

Colouring of WW1 photos

Hi all
Concerning this latest "craze" of colouring WW1 photos, I wonder what other members think of this ?
Without doubt, the technology and the skill and patience of the creators is superb .. but does there not have to be a certain amount of knowledge and research have to be involved as well as the desire to "update" the presentation of these images ?
I am looking at one prize example at the moment ; its shows a crowd scene on Armistice Day 1918 and someone is waving a White Ensign with a blue St.George's Cross which make me wonder how many other mistakes have been made. Personally I think nothing can beat the original B&W images which, in themselves convey a clearer air of poignance and authenticity than those that have been "meddled with". Any other thoughts ? Jeff

GriffMJ 11-11-18 04:42 PM

This was done to show the Regiments scarlet stable waistcoats and their scarlet stable hats. the car in the background is coloured as it would have been back then.... I did look it up.
http://www.paoyeomanry.co.uk/Yeomanr...onDiss1914.jpg

Jelly Terror 11-11-18 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William (Post 459620)
Hi all
Concerning this latest "craze" of colouring WW1 photos, I wonder what other members think of this ?
Without doubt, the technology and the skill and patience of the creators is superb .. but does there not have to be a certain amount of knowledge and research have to be involved as well as the desire to "update" the presentation of these images ?
I am looking at one prize example at the moment ; its shows a crowd scene on Armistice Day 1918 and someone is waving a White Ensign with a blue St.George's Cross which make me wonder how many other mistakes have been made. Personally I think nothing can beat the original B&W images which, in themselves convey a clearer air of poignance and authenticity than those that have been "meddled with". Any other thoughts ? Jeff

Jeff,

I agree with you on the subject of authenticity being important, though photos can only convey a level of authenticity afforded them by the technology of the time.

If you have not already seen Peter Jackson's moving film 'They Shall Not Grow Old', (not sure why it's not titled 'They Shall Grow Not Old') I can highly recommend it. Suddenly, those old jerky, grainy, silent-movie figures thaw before your very eyes into astoundingly tangible fathers, sons, brothers and uncles. I think the trade off between 'authenticity' and 'rejuvenation' is, in this instance, more than worth it.

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...78&postcount=1

norfolk regt man 11-11-18 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 459621)
This was done to show the Regiments scarlet stable waistcoats and their scarlet stable hats. the car in the background is coloured as it would have been back then.... I did look it up.
http://www.paoyeomanry.co.uk/Yeomanr...onDiss1914.jpg

Do you think that’s diss in Norfolk, or is there another one

realownlee 11-11-18 10:17 PM

Agree, the colouriser MUST know what he or she is doing, after all it was fought in colour and if colour had been generally available, it would have been used at the time.
For me, it truly brings the war to life, and if it helps to hold the interest of coming generations...….

GriffMJ 11-11-18 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norfolk regt man (Post 459630)
Do you think that’s diss in Norfolk, or is there another one

It is Diss in Norfolk :) "Helen Kennett" is writing a book on the men on the Diss War Memorial, but intends to include an appendix relating to the other regiments who were in Diss.Helen has just asked me for permission to use the images of the LYPAO for her book :)

Frank Kelley 12-11-18 07:59 AM

Colouring photographic plates is certainly nothing new, if it was ever a "craze" it started well before 1914.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeff Mc William (Post 459620)
Hi all

JerryBB 16-11-18 12:33 PM

Assuming it is done accurately, the I think they do add, the scarlet hatted chaps shown above clearly show what is missing from b & w pics, that said b & w pics do have a certain gravity. Using both seems a good way to do it.

GriffMJ 16-11-18 02:29 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBBOND (Post 459982)
Using both seems a good way to do it.

Like so :) Personally.... colour brings them back.... makes them less distant. A good quality photo helps with the process as well. Choosing the correct colour source from period unifrom is essential etc....

JerryBB 16-11-18 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GriffMJ (Post 459984)
Like so :) Personally.... colour brings them back.... makes them less distant. A good quality photo helps with the process as well. Choosing the correct colour source from period unifrom is essential etc....

Indeed Griff. Look great