British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Reproductions, Restrikes, Fakes, Forgeries, and Copies (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   London Irish bb badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51592)

Alan O 17-02-16 01:40 PM

London Irish bb badge

3 Attachment(s)
I recently bought this with a lot of other badges in a London shop. It's a well made badge but I am very uneasy about it. Top notch quality unlike the usual ebay fakes.

2747andy 17-02-16 01:53 PM

Alan,
From the images I can see nothing that would alarm me about your example, it's just in great condition;

http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...p?albumid=2488

IMO

Andy

Alan O 17-02-16 02:00 PM

Well Andy how many would you like to buy? They come in BB and all brass and with this slider type and the extruded one. I think he has at least a dozen in his shop of all 3 types. Maybe it's time to revise your album?

He also had half a dozen Ulster HG in the same paint job and finish.

Alan O 17-02-16 02:08 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Forum members might find the following pictures useful. The modern one (the pristine one on the left) is shown next to what I regard as a genuine pre 1923 BB one and a genuine w/m version.

2747andy 17-02-16 02:13 PM

Alan
No, I'll leave the album just as it is thank you!

I am still more than happy with the badge you opened the thread with!

Andy

Alan O 17-02-16 02:22 PM

£5 each - I gave up counting how many there were after I pulled out the first 10 or so. The finish was not all as good as that one and I ended up with rather black fingertips! The brass ones were equally pristine.:eek:

Keith Blakeman 17-02-16 02:32 PM

I'm surprised you found it in a shop in London, it's a badge desert these days.

Alan O 17-02-16 03:09 PM

If you think London is bad you want to try the West Country. Even if you can find a genuine badge, the prices are daft even for common badges. There is a couple of dealers in Bath but none in Bristol that I have found.

bobscot 17-02-16 03:47 PM

Where about in London? I am going down this weekend.
Bob

2747andy 17-02-16 04:10 PM

........ :D

Alan,
I would have taken all the ones like the first one you posted!

Andy

Alan O 17-02-16 04:28 PM

Andy

Trust me you wouldn't have. Whilst they were all from the same die the quality of the black finish varied immensely. That was the best one but as I uncovered more and more it became obvious that they were all fakes. The unpainted ones were much easier to recognise as modern as the blacking masks the age. I literally had to wipe my fingers as they were so grubby from the paint not being properly sealed. Also the presence of all of the Ulster HG sounded klaxons rather than alarm bells! I mean what are the chances of a dozen finished, part finished and un painted pre 1923 badges suddenly all popping up in one shop at the same time? The fact that there were 2 styles of sliders on both the RUR and the UHG rather rules out the very, very remote chance of a box of 'sleepers' suddenly being sold off after a clear out from the London Irish QM!

If anyone wants it to fill a gap then send me £5 plus the price of large letter stamp and it's theirs. However it is sold as a fake.

Alan

wardog 17-02-16 07:55 PM

Lived in Devon for several years and bought a 2nd Birmingham Pals in Seaton and a GvR Household Cavalry ORs badge at Chard but not much else. Few bits and bobs in Honiton. I think that the way all over these days. Regards, Paul.

49lassiepen 17-02-16 08:31 PM

Alan O dealer in Bristol Andy Stevens -christmas steps He has been there 35 years + What he does not have in his Gloucestershire collection is not worth worrying about
David

Jelly Terror 18-02-16 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobscot (Post 345777)
Where about in London? I am going down this weekend.
Bob

Was going to ask the same question. Where in London, Alan? If you'd rather not name the specific shop/dealer, perhaps a street name? I am very familiar with the remaining shops in town.