British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   WW1 Returned Sailor's Badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=90509)

Joe 05-08-22 11:14 AM

WW1 Returned Sailor's Badge

2 Attachment(s)
Though an Australian badge I thought I'd post this in the Royal Navy section. Commonwealth Naval Order 103/1919 authorised the issue of a Returned Sailor's Badge to certain members of the Royal Navy who were lent or transferred to the RAN between 11 Nov 1918 and 30 Jun 1919. After that date eligibility was restricted to persons who were discharged ashore in Australia.

As far as can be ascertained only 100 badges were manufactured.

The attached image shows the difference between the badge issued to members of the RAN and the one for issue to RN or ex-RN personnel. The second badge is missing the letters RAN. Notwithstanding the photo they are both the same size.

Home Guard 05-08-22 05:49 PM

Very nice!!!

Terry

badgecollector 05-08-22 09:26 PM

very interesting Joe
i never knew of this badge but will certainly look out for it now.
cheers
bc

dumdum 05-08-22 11:32 PM

I have one of these plus the Female Relatives badge for this. I'll post pics of both for interest's sake.

I'm told that the records for these have not survived the passage of time which is a pity but the badges are not around that much.

Well done!

dumdum 06-08-22 12:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are the two badges mentioned in my last post. The RAN badge is numbered 2830 and the Female Relatives badge is 2907.

I see that the latter are now available as restrikes on our most favourite global market place....along with much other stuff.

They weren't acquired together but may well be linked in some way.

badgecollector 06-08-22 06:32 AM

hi dumdum
you are correct in that the records havent survived the years however i think Joe was refering to the 2nd badge. the one on the right side of his pic. doesnt have the RAN at the top
bc

dumdum 06-08-22 10:28 AM

Hi bc

I guessing that all of these are less than common today, apart from the "new" RAN Female Relatives badges.

Joe 08-08-22 11:59 AM

The National Archives of Australia has digitised the register showing issues of the Returned Sailors' Badge (RAN), Home Service Badge and Returned Sailors' Badge (RN). This is the url - (copy and paste link into search bar) https://recordsearch.naa.gov.au/Sear...9173419&isAv=N

I am not sure on the diligence of the persons recording badge numbers, so you may not find the issue details for a specific Returned Sailors' Badge (RAN) badge. The details for badges issued to ex-RN and RN personnel appear to be accurately recorded. Only 100 made and approx. 97 issued.

Unfortunately, the NAA doesn't appear to hold a register for the RAN Nearest Female Relative Badge.

A number of other registers are held, and digitised, as part of Series MT1384. Including WW1 Returned Soldiers' Badges issued in England. Search using MT1384*. The * is a wildcard.

dumdum 09-08-22 07:00 AM

Hi Joe

Many thanks for that! I didn't have much luck trying to paste the link and even with a search under Returned Sailors Badge. What am I doing wrong?

I have has some joy with the RASB and the Silver War Badge but it takes a LOT of patience...and eyedrops!

Joe 10-08-22 11:29 AM

WW1 Returned Sailor's Badge

Apparently 'copy and paste' the url wont work.

An alternative way is to go to www.naa.gov.au - select Explore the Collection - select Go to RecordSearch - enter search term Returned sailors badges. This should bring up the item.

Regards.
Joe

badgecollector 10-08-22 10:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
hi all
here are my 2.
made by 2 different manufacturers with subtle differences.

also, are there roles for the Merchant Navy badge?

and, this Female Relatives badge is not numbered? any thoughts why?

cheers
BC

dumdum 11-08-22 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe (Post 585135)
Apparently 'copy and paste' the url wont work.

An alternative way is to go to www.naa.gov.au - select Explore the Collection - select Go to RecordSearch - enter search term Returned sailors badges. This should bring up the item.

Regards.
Joe

Hi Joe

Many thanks! We'll give it a try and report back!:)

dumdum 11-08-22 11:13 AM

Hi Joe

Thanks for that. It does work but my badge doesn't figure, although there is one that is very close (2836).

What a great find. I was just amazed to find them dishing out badges in 1975 and 1977. Replacements or just men who never claimed them?

A great resource nonetheless.

I do have an Australian SWB that was issued in 1968 with a letter on his file asking to be sent "the wound medal" [sic.].

Joe 11-08-22 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dumdum (Post 585194)
Hi Joe

Thanks for that. It does work but my badge doesn't figure, although there is one that is very close (2836).

What a great find. I was just amazed to find them dishing out badges in 1975 and 1977. Replacements or just men who never claimed them?

A great resource nonetheless.

I do have an Australian SWB that was issued in 1968 with a letter on his file asking to be sent "the wound medal" [sic.].

Two possible reasons why the number may not be found. Firstly, the person responsible for recording numbers may not have been very diligent in carrying out their duties. Secondly the badge may not have been issued.

Joe 11-08-22 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 585176)
hi all
here are my 2.
made by 2 different manufacturers with subtle differences.

also, are there roles for the Merchant Navy badge?

and, this Female Relatives badge is not numbered? any thoughts why?

cheers
BC

There are a couple of ways of trying to id WW1 Merchant Seaman badges.
1. As the badge is engraved, do a name search on the NAA website.
2. Defence Honours and Awards (email - YourCustomer.Service@defence.gov.au) holds some WW1 merchant seaman records. I don't know if they can track from badge number back to the recipient.

Re-RAN Female Relative badge, given the missing serial number and the fact the maker's name is in the wrong position I would be concerned as to its authenticity. Maker's name is usually behind the crown and serial number is where the makers name appears. Also the maker's name and the STG SIL marks are not stamped in.

With regards to the two Returned Sailor's Badges the N6044 badge was part of a later order. I think badges with an N prefix were ordered after the accounts for WW1 were closed off. Regards. Joe