British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Military Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Poppy Appeal Pins (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59241)

mike_vee 03-02-22 04:45 PM

Manchester Bee

1 Attachment(s)
Managed to get a 2020 (lime green) Manchester Bee , someone had a couple and sent them to me. No money changed hands but a donation was made !:D

mike_vee 03-02-22 04:53 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 568280)
A recent arrival was a 1935 "Poppy Factory Illustrated Brochure" , 40+ pages including lots of photos. Will scan it at some point in the New Year.

Am up to the 1960's now , nice pamphlet/booklet that appears to have been produced shortly after the Queen's visit to the Poppy Factory on November 1th 1962.

mike_vee 07-02-22 03:59 PM

Got it !

1 Attachment(s)
Finally got the badge that has been #1 on my wanted list for a few years , "The Battle of Cambrai" ! :D
Managed to do a swap for a couple of my 'spares' , so that is one set complete , just need the hexagonal "Ypres" gift shop one to finish the other set.

Home Guard 07-02-22 04:44 PM

Congrats there Mike! I know how it feels to get a much, much desired item, and even as other bits come along, that win still glows on.

Terry

mike_vee 08-02-22 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Home Guard (Post 571968)
Congrats there Mike! I know how it feels to get a much, much desired item, and even as other bits come along, that win still glows on.

Terry

Thanks Terry , I can get hold of original 1921 British Legion badges but can have real difficulty getting ones produced less than 5 years ago !

Now , as soon as a new 'set' is issued I snap them up as they may end up "out of stock" in a couple of weeks ..... and not be reissued ! :eek:

mike_vee 08-02-22 07:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 571428)
A seller I have previously posted about is now getting ridiculous !

He is offering a fake set of 2006/2007/2008 poppy pins , he claims to have "12 kilo,s of different ones i purchased from a liquidation sale.!" which means he's had batches made (probably in China). The fact he has included a tape measure , which shows they are the wrong size , indicates he knows nothing about these pins.

Same seller , exact same set of pins but this time a slightly different "story" and a starting price of £49.00 !

Worth noting : "RELISTED DUE TO NON PAYING BIDDER"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334320534...h-amw#viTabs_0

It appears that eBay and RBL are not willing/prepared to take any action against these listings ! :mad:

Home Guard 08-02-22 04:30 PM

Mike,

Until recently I really only collected war time, but when I got into more current items I figured items would be easier to find. Not to be, the newer items as you mention seem harder to come by than war time ones.

I guess we have to consider the hunt as part of the fun.

Terry

mike_vee 11-02-22 12:17 PM

A great surprise !

1 Attachment(s)
I was expecting a package with some old RBL documents/paper work , it arrived today and included some unexpected but most appreciated items (Thanks Mike).

As Terry has previously stated , the kindness and generosity of forum members is not often mentioned but is one of the really nice aspects of this forum.

Mike_2817 11-02-22 01:01 PM

You are more than welcome Mike, you have helped me with more than a few pins yourself.
Some of last years pins I have not seen anywhere else.

Charliedog012012 12-02-22 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 571964)
Finally got the badge that has been #1 on my wanted list for a few years , "The Battle of Cambrai" ! :D
Managed to do a swap for a couple of my 'spares' , so that is one set complete , just need the hexagonal "Ypres" gift shop one to finish the other set.

Well done. I know for how long you have searched for the Cambrai pin and I am absolutely delighted that you have finally managed to get hold of one.
Cheers
James

mike_vee 12-02-22 08:57 AM

Coming soon !

2 Attachment(s)
Found photos of two new pins that will be available soon (?) , not sure if they will only go to PAO's/Branches or if PoppyShop will have them.

mike_vee 12-02-22 09:46 AM

Just noticed that for the 40th Anniversary the Falklands is classed as a conflict yet for the 35th Anniversary it was a war ? :confused:

mike_vee 12-02-22 01:34 PM

London Underground

2 Attachment(s)
Arrived today , a couple of nice London Underground 2021 pins (brooch fittings). I got them from a London Undergound worker and all profits going to Poppy Appeal.

Mike_2817 12-02-22 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 572423)
Found photos of two new pins that will be available soon (?) , not sure if they will only go to PAO's/Branches or if PoppyShop will have them.

Was told last week (no pictures) that they would be available at Annual RBL Conference in May. Hope to see them on the PA Order Portal along with 2022 Pin before that...

mike_vee 13-02-22 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 572472)
Was told last week (no pictures) that they would be available at Annual RBL Conference in May. Hope to see them on the PA Order Portal along with 2022 Pin before that...

After supply problems with some of last year's pins (am sending a white rugby ball to someone whose English branch didn't get any) I wonder if the new ones will turn up on PoppyShop (or eBay !) before they reach some of the Branches !

Will keep an eye out on the various sites and let you know when they first appear.