British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Formation signs and stripes (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84851)

KOMalta 12-05-21 10:17 AM

Formation signs and stripes

Maybe an obvious question, were all regimental formation signs and stripes worn on both sides of the tunic? I'm aware shoulder titles did.

Thanks in advance
Vincent

Luc 12-05-21 11:56 AM

Good question. I think many were if not most but SHAEF and Pathfinders for example were worn as singles.

And some of the forces in exile during WW2 also had single formation signs and shoulder titles.

cbuehler 12-05-21 03:10 PM

I think you have to specify the time period and form of dress for a more accurate answer.

CB

KOMalta 12-05-21 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 549378)
I think you have to specify the time period and form of dress for a more accurate answer.

CB

I'm thinking World War Two period on battledresses.

Colin S 12-05-21 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc (Post 549340)
Good question. I think many were if not most but SHAEF and Pathfinders for example were worn as singles.

And some of the forces in exile during WW2 also had single formation signs and shoulder titles.

Pathfinders - formation signs? Please can you explain which badges you are referring to?

Luc 12-05-21 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
See attached for a US made example but British made badges also exist.

Colin S 13-05-21 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc (Post 549421)
See attached for a US made example but British made badges also exist.

Is this not a qualification badge worn in addition to the normal Pegasus formation badges? Just trying to keep definitions clear.....:)

KOMalta 13-05-21 08:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Maybe I haven't made myself clear....

What I mean by formation signs and stripes would be as per attachment for the Commonwealth and British Army during WWII on battledresses.

Thanks

54Bty 13-05-21 10:10 AM

Nothing to do with your subject, but that looks like a 1960 pattern gun.

Marc

Postwarden 13-05-21 11:06 AM

Broadly speaking the answer is Yes, on both arms but being the British Army there are exceptions and variations.

Rifle Brigade NCOs only wore rank badges on the right arm; a Middle East Order of November 1943 instructed that 'Formation signs and regimental flashes were only to be worn on the left sleeve, those entitled to arm of service strips wearing them on both sleeves. ORs’ rank badges were only to be worn on the right sleeve.

Jon

KOMalta 13-05-21 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 549468)
Broadly speaking the answer is Yes, on both arms but being the British Army there are exceptions and variations.

Rifle Brigade NCOs only wore rank badges on the right arm; a Middle East Order of November 1943 instructed that 'Formation signs and regimental flashes were only to be worn on the left sleeve, those entitled to arm of service strips wearing them on both sleeves. ORs’ rank badges were only to be worn on the right sleeve.

Jon

Thank you Jon. That's what I was after.

Regards

KOMalta 13-05-21 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 549462)
Nothing to do with your subject, but that looks like a 1960 pattern gun.

Marc

Marc for a closer look at the image visit;

https://vassallohistory.wordpress.com/armed-forces/

Vincent

Luc 13-05-21 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin S (Post 549438)
Is this not a qualification badge worn in addition to the normal Pegasus formation badges? Just trying to keep definitions clear.....:)

No, it was worn by some members of the 21 and 22 independent parachute companies which allowed them to be identified as such but it did not require additional training.

Postwarden 13-05-21 04:08 PM

Luc,

Interested to note that you say the British pathfinders wore this badge which I thought was purely a US item.

What evidence is there of this please as I'm always on the lookout for additions/corrections etc for my book Badges on Battle Dress.

Jon

Colin S 13-05-21 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc (Post 549503)
No, it was worn by some members of the 21 and 22 independent parachute companies which allowed them to be identified as such but it did not require additional training.

21 and 22 Companies were both Pathfinder roled and would have received additional training in marking out DZs and other relevant aspects which qualified them beyond the normal training for a Parachute Regiment rifle company. My understanding is that the US Pathfinder torch badge was worn, unofficially, by those members who had trained alongside their U.S. counterparts at the U.S. Pathfinder school in Nottingham and it was worn to show their additional training and role, so in those terms it was a qualification badge. It was worn in addition to the normal Airborne formation signs of the Pegasus.

I’m not disputing that the torch was worn, only that it was not a formation sign in the normally accepted use of the words.