British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Artillery, Royal Engineers and Royal Signals. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   British Royal Artillery Cap Badge Makers Marks (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49621)

manchesters 14-11-15 01:25 PM

British Royal Artillery Cap Badge Makers Marks

Hello,

I thought I would record the full size KINGS CROWN British RA cap badges that I own which have makers marks to the rear. This is for other ranks only and not Gilt or OSD officers badges. Nor does it include beret badges which as a general rule nearly always have a makers mark. Nor does it include Commonwealth Artillery which have a whole different series of makers.

I have found that maker marked full size RA cap badges are rare items and would be interested to find out what makers marks other members have in their collections, so please add them on below.

1. Hairpin slider - "GROVE MFG. B'HAM"

2. Slider - "FIRMIN LONDON"

3. Slider - "J. R. GAUNT LONDON"

4. Slider - "LAMBOURNE'S BIRMINGHAM"

5. 3 loops - Plaque with "J.R. GAUNT LONDON"

I am looking to see if anyone has Dowler, J&Co, Narborough, Buttons, Smith&Wright, Tiptaft or others. Do any of these exist???

regards

engr9266 14-11-15 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 331344)
Hello,

I thought I would record the full size British RA cap badges that I own which have makers marks to the rear. This is for other ranks only and not Gilt or OSD officers badges. Nor does it include beret badges which as a general rule nearly always have a makers mark. Nor does it include Commonwealth Artillery which have a whole different series of makers.

I have found that maker marked full size RA cap badges are rare items and would be interested to find out what makers marks other members have in their collections, so please add them on below.

I am looking to see if anyone has Dowler, J&Co, Narborough, Buttons, Smith&Wright, Tiptaft or others. Do any of these exist???

regards

I have the following makers on RA CAP badges-
SMITH & WRIGHT, LONDON BADGE & BUTTON Co Ltd, <>FIRMIN<>, DOWLER BIRMINGHAM, FIRMIN, FIRMIN & SONS, FIRMIN LONDON, FIRMIN.LONDON, J R GAUNT BIRMINGHAM, J R GAUNT LONDON and a bladed version.
There are also s few without maker mark.
Hope this helps,
Jerry.

Roy 14-11-15 04:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi Simon & Jerry,

I don't collect Royal Artillery badges specifically but always applaud attempts to record makers marks on specific badges.

I can't add anything new but do have two OSD examples I can share just in case they are of interest. Both by J.R. Gaunt London but both slightly different. Two tangs on each, on example 'a' these are uppermost and on example 'b' they are at the bottom. Slightly different versions of makers marks too (straight and curved).

Hope they are of interest?

Cheers, Royl

tonyb 14-11-15 05:54 PM

Hello Simon, see this link to my Buttons Birmingham example.
http://www.britishbadgeforum.com/for...ictureid=93690
Tony.

manchesters 14-11-15 06:37 PM

Tony,

Thats a beauty. Thanks for showing.

regarsd

fougasse1940 15-11-15 03:14 PM

I have an unseeded applied wheel A/A badge maker marked DOWLER. BIRMINGHAM.

Rgds, Thomas.

54Bty 15-11-15 06:09 PM

Quote:

Hello,

I thought I would record the full size British RA cap badges that I own which have makers marks to the rear. This is for other ranks only and not Gilt or OSD officers badges. Nor does it include beret badges which as a general rule nearly always have a makers mark. Nor does it include Commonwealth Artillery which have a whole different series of makers.

regards

Brass or aa versions?

Marc :)

manchesters 15-11-15 06:12 PM

Hello,

My main area of interest are the KINGS CROWN other ranks CAP BADGE versions, so I would be interested to hear of makers marks on those.

thankyou

54Bty 15-11-15 06:34 PM

Sorry, out of the 30 odd metal Cap Badges I only have one with a marked slider;

Lambourne & Co
Birmingham
Marc

manchesters 15-11-15 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by engr9266 (Post 331372)
I have the following makers on RA CAP badges-
SMITH & WRIGHT, LONDON BADGE & BUTTON Co Ltd, <>FIRMIN<>, DOWLER BIRMINGHAM, FIRMIN, FIRMIN & SONS, FIRMIN LONDON, FIRMIN.LONDON, J R GAUNT BIRMINGHAM, J R GAUNT LONDON and a bladed version.
There are also s few without maker mark.
Hope this helps,
Jerry.

Jerry,

I am sorry I didn't state it in the opening post but I am collating the list just for

KINGS CROWN, other ranks, FULL SIZE cap badges.

Can you confirm which of the above fall into that category please.

regards

engr9266 16-11-15 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 331585)
Jerry,

I am sorry I didn't state it in the opening post but I am collating the list just for

KINGS CROWN, other ranks, FULL SIZE cap badges.

Can you confirm which of the above fall into that category please.

regards

Sorry, I should have said they are ALL anodised badges. :eek:
I will check my others shortly. Having now checked my RA cap badges with KC, I am sorry to say that NONE are maker marked.
Jerry

manchesters 16-11-15 10:54 AM

Jerry,

Thanks for clarifying that.

Tony and Marc seem to have the only 2 to add to my list so far.

Marc's being a different version of my LAMBOURNE'S

Keep them coming.

regards

2747andy 16-11-15 12:00 PM

Quote:

Hello,

I thought I would record the full size KINGS CROWN British RA cap badges that I own which have makers marks to the rear. This is for other ranks only and not Gilt or OSD officers badges. Nor does it include beret badges which as a general rule nearly always have a makers mark. Nor does it include Commonwealth Artillery which have a whole different series of makers.

regards

Simon,
pretty sure Jennens only made Offrs Badges so probably no J&Co?

I have a Buttons full size example, it is Buttons who made the badges with the fan shaped strengtheners and hairpin sliders.

Andy

manchesters 16-11-15 12:36 PM

Andy,

thanks for the info on J&Co.

My RA badge with fan shaped strengthener and integral slider has no makers mark on the slider unfortunately.

regards

tonyb 26-01-18 01:24 PM

F.N B'ham

2 Attachment(s)
Simon, latest addition to my RA collection.
Full size KC, makers marked F.N B'ham.
Applied wheel.
Tony.