British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Army (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   SATC (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72299)

fearnaught 20-02-19 10:11 AM

South African Tank Corps (SATC)

3 Attachment(s)
Hi, I have recently redone my SATC and of course found several queries. The first pattern bronze badges have a matt brown finish applied to the front. Was this a wartime field application or a post war attempt at replacing the bronze finish? Also I would like to know when the voided version came into use. It appears to have several different versions, I have 1) made using a British RTR tank center, the two versions I have are like chalk and cheese in finish 2) lead cast voided made from the first version, this came attached to the epaulette which raises the question was it worn like that to show previous affiliation or just a convenient way to store them? 3) sand cast loosely based on the first version, mine has traces of a silver finish 4) the chrome finished fretted out collar badge. On that page I'm curious as to the time frame for the SATC titles. On the second frame I have a bronze finished collar badge of what I will call the third version. Is there a bronze cap badge to go with it? Also any information on the variants with deer heads would be welcome. the desert rats are waiting for a IV, still searching. In the third frame, who wore the tank with a 1? I'm guessing it was the SSB but it could have been 1st A/C company? thanks in advance and any suggestions would be welcome, best wishes Mike

altcar73 20-02-19 10:36 AM

Forgive my asking, but what is a SATC?

Dave.

Phil2M 20-02-19 10:46 AM

Hi Dave,

South African Tank Corps.

Phil

altcar73 20-02-19 10:53 AM

Thanks Phil. Pity that was not made clear in the title so that anyone searching for that subject would find it easily.

Dave.

Lancer 17 20-02-19 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 469650)
Hi Dave,

South African Tank Corps.

Phil

I go back to Nozzer's thread on abbreviations, if the full title had been given in the first place we all would know what was being talked about, we are not mind readers.

Regards

Phil.

fearnaught 20-02-19 01:57 PM

South African Tank Corps

Hi, I do apologize, unfortunately I can't edit the title. As I only collect armour I tend to think everyone would know what I was talking about, sorry for any confusion I may have caused, best wishes Mike

Investment 21-02-19 12:22 AM

Very nice collection, thank you for sharing the pictures :)

grey_green_acorn 21-02-19 12:44 AM

Editing titles

Quote:

Originally Posted by fearnaught (Post 469667)
Hi, I do apologize, unfortunately I can't edit the title. As I only collect armour I tend to think everyone would know what I was talking about, sorry for any confusion I may have caused, best wishes Mike

Mike,

To change, amend or add a title to your own post while you still have editing rights:

Go to 'edit' (bottom right) and click on 'go advanced' then add or edit in the 'title' field

Then 'save'

Tim

fearnaught 21-02-19 08:04 PM

Hi Tim, thanks, best wishes Mike

fearnaught 23-02-19 05:31 PM

Hi, I changed the title but still no answers to the questions, best wishes Mike

Frank Kelley 24-02-19 08:24 AM

Quite frankly, I don't think you need to apologize, you have posted this thread in the correct section and anybody that really did not actually know what SATC was, would therefore be unlikely to be able to answer your question in the first place.:D

Quote:

Originally Posted by fearnaught (Post 469667)

iaindh 25-02-19 01:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Very nice Mike,

Colin Owen has the 1st version voided as from May 40 to Sept 41 and 2nd version from Sept 41 to March 43.

I thought I would share my own SATC, (South African Tank Corps,) and assoc.
My only theatre cast version is top left.

Attachment 202422 Attachment 202423

regards, Iain

Alex Rice 26-02-19 05:42 AM

Some great badges there. Sorry I can't contribute to the questions & answers - I know nothing...

Frank Kelley 26-02-19 07:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
:eek:!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex Rice (Post 470270)
- I know nothing...

leigh kitchen 26-02-19 08:04 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Ja