British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Photographs of British Servicemen and Women Wearing Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Unknown cap badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91444)

P.Jones 30-10-22 10:33 PM

Unknown cap badge

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone have any ideas as to what this cap badge could be? I take it not military? He was later in the Boer war and first world war. Thank in advance.

Attachment 275152

Tinto 31-10-22 01:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Hi, I believe it is connected with an Artillery unit.
I attach a picture showing Midlothian Artillery Volunteers wearing same badge.
Cheers, John

kingsley 31-10-22 03:34 AM

I have a picture somewhere in my files of a pre-1900 NSW artlleryman wearing a brass chevron his cap, very similar to the one worn by the Royal Marines.

Milmed 31-10-22 03:58 AM

I understand it is an indication of his rank

mike_vee 31-10-22 07:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Found this about Royal Artillery :

Quote:

THE FORAGE CAP

The addition of small chevrons in front for Corporals and Bombardiers dated back to 1864.

manchesters 31-10-22 12:26 PM

Hello,

The absence of grenade collar badges and the Chatham location may indicate the Royal Engineers.

Just a thought.

regards

mike_vee 31-10-22 02:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 590253)
Hello,

The absence of grenade collar badges and the Chatham location may indicate the Royal Engineers.

Just a thought.

regards

Artillery were there first ! ;)

Brompton Artillery Barracks (1806) :

Quote:

Brompton Barracks is the home of the Royal Engineers and now houses the Royal Engineers Museum. It was constructed to accommodate troops, first the artillery and then the engineers, charged with defending Chatham Dockyard.
Found another photo of Artillery Bombardier.

P.Jones 31-10-22 11:39 PM

I would Like to thank everyone for there input. I have been on this forum since 2008 and it never ceases to amaze me the knowledge and help members provide.
I was thinking along the lines of Chatham, so artillery it is. I hope to receive more info and photos on the man (a relative) in question later this week.
Once again many thanks,
Philip

P.Jones 11-11-22 11:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just an update before I post another photo. After receiving more information. He was in the Royal Engineers. Stationed at Chatham. (was also at the relief of Mafeking).

Sapper 10 May 1892, L/Cpl 21 Jun 1893, 2nd Cpl 1 Dec 1895, Corporal 1 Feb 1899, extended service 16 Jun 1899, Sergeant 1 Apr 1901, CSM 23 Jun 1907, QMS 12 Mar 1910.

Second Corporal (2nd Cpl.). This I believe was a uniquely RE rank which fell between the ranks of Lance Corporal and Corporal. 2nd Cpl was still one stripe? Is there any visual difference between the stripe of L/Cpl and 2nd Cpl?

This photo taken 1893-1895. At first glance I thought the bicycle was just a photographers prop but on close inspection look at the long socks (bicycle attire?). Did the R.E. have a cycle company?

Also his cape badge looks nothing like an R.E. badge? And the meaning of the inverted chevron and Badge (symbol) above the chevron? On his left arm.

And the collar badge looks black (if it’s a collar badge, or just a shadow in the photo?) I think I can zoom in more on the photo than the one posted on the forum.

Thanks in advance.

Philip

manchesters 12-11-22 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 590253)
Hello,

Just a thought.

regards

Ok

P.Jones 13-11-22 12:42 AM

Would that also infer that Royal Artillery wore collar badges and the Royal Engineers did not at that time?

Regards,
Philip

manchesters 13-11-22 01:34 PM

That would be my conclusion.

regards

P.Jones 13-11-22 11:31 PM

Interesting thank you Simon.

Do you have any views on the inverted chevron and badge on his right arm?

Regards,
Philip

kingsley 14-11-22 06:27 AM

Good conduct I think. A photo of my grandfather (Partially Paid NSW Medical Staff Corps 1898)shows him wearing an inverted chevron near the cuff on his left arm.

manchesters 14-11-22 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by P.Jones (Post 591114)
Interesting thank you Simon.

Do you have any views on the inverted chevron and badge on his right arm?

Regards,
Philip

Philip,

Firstly its not 'inverted', its the correct way to wear a rank/appointment chevron. Inverted would be point up.

Secondly the single chevron of a L/Cpl is an appointment not a rank whereas 2nd Cpl is a rank. No difference in the badge just the title and pay.

regards