British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Norfolk Regiment (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79274)

Third Tankie 17-06-20 04:19 PM

Norfolk Regiment

2 Attachment(s)
Hi,

Submitting this for opinions.

Thanks

Kevin

RSM 17-06-20 06:00 PM

Looks ok to me, albeit polished to within an inch of her life. Assuming it to be a post-Victorian collar with the N/S loops?

Third Tankie 17-06-20 06:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry,

I should have put a ruler in the frame, try this, and yes the badge has been well loved.

Kevin

RSM 17-06-20 07:07 PM

No worries, thanks. Nothing wrong with a well loved badge. So it's more cap badge sized. Not seen one with loops, so this is where I shut up and learn from the experts!

norfolk regt man 17-06-20 07:15 PM

Nice original badge, it was a common practice to sand the shield flat, thus making it quicker and easier to clean

RSM 17-06-20 07:18 PM

That's interesting to know, thanks. I have 4 or 5 of these and all are on shanks. So where does the looped example fit into the chronology?:confused:

Holyboy 17-06-20 07:25 PM

Norfolk badge

1 Attachment(s)
I was once told by a lovely lady in an ATS uniform that the lugged badges were for ATS use worn on the left breast of the tunic.

Third Tankie 17-06-20 08:02 PM

Gents,

Thanks for all your very positive and informative replies.

Holyboy, dare I ask how well you knew the lovely ATS lady?

Again, thanks all.

Kevin

cbuehler 17-06-20 09:28 PM

I too would have expected a slider, but nothing is ever set in stone it would seem. I have seen many Guards badges polished down like that. Really makes them twinkle on parade!

CB

Holyboy 18-06-20 06:07 AM

She is a the wife of a friend who does living history. It made sense to me.

Third Tankie 18-06-20 07:12 AM

Please thank her from me for her valued contribution.

RSM 18-06-20 10:50 AM

So just to be clear, any Royal Norfolk cap badge with lugs was specifically made for ATS wear?? Or is it the case that such badges with loops were already in production but were found to be suitable also for ATS wear on the tunic?

leigh kitchen 18-06-20 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holyboy (Post 513154)
I was once told by a lovely lady in an ATS uniform that the lugged badges were for ATS use worn on the left breast of the tunic.

Would that definitely be a cap badge sized badge with lugs rather than a R Norfolk collar badge worn as a breast badge?

RSM 18-06-20 11:39 AM

Thanks Leigh, my previous assumption was that ATS wore only a collar on their chest of the unit they were affiliated to. A full sized badge being worn as such is news to me.

Alan O 18-06-20 11:44 AM

The badge in post 1 looks to be a collar to me. the cap badge was only made with a slider to my knowledge. I would expect any ATS attached - (there can't be many ATS that were attached to infantry battalions?) to have worn a collar on the tunic. I don't imagine there was a bespoke lugged version specifically made for the ATS's use.