British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   WW1 regiment identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72567)

Michelle_2 05-03-19 10:36 PM

WW1 regiment identification

4 Attachment(s)
Hello,

Recently we have found some photos that belonged to my great grandmother of some soldiers, but no idea what regiment they all are. Any help would be really appreciated :)

Thanks in advance,

Michelle

Bill A 05-03-19 11:41 PM

Hello Michelle 2, welcome to the Forum. Your account is active and open for posts. Some of the membership should be able to assist.

ebro 06-03-19 12:22 AM

The third photo, the one with the horse, Looks like Leicestershire Territorials. The first picture may be the same, but It needs a closer shot of his cap badge.

Dan M 06-03-19 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_2 (Post 471102)
Recently we have found some photos that belonged to my great grandmother of some soldiers, but no idea what regiment they all are. Any help would be really appreciated.

Michelle,

Would there be any way for you to scan and post the photos? The more detail which can be discerned, the better.

Dan.

Michelle_2 06-03-19 01:26 PM

Hi everyone,

I have just looked at the photos I uploaded, they are much clearer on my phone so doesnt look like its done it in as good quality. I will try and upload them from the computer and see if that works any better

Michelle

Michelle_2 06-03-19 01:51 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I have uploaded the one with the 1 soldier and the soldiers with the horse again, I will have to do the others when I get home tonight, let me know if these ones still aren't that clear and I will have to try and scan them. Trouble is, the photos themselves aren't really very clear to begin with :/

Michelle

Michelle_2 06-03-19 04:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here are the other 3

jean-paul Vermersch 06-03-19 06:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hello

Dan M is right, the pictures are too small, but like Ebro, I guess on the 3rd picture of the soldiers of the Territorial Leicestershire...Like this one.

manchesters 06-03-19 06:35 PM

The very first photo taken in Coalville is probably The Leicestershire Regiment.

Close ups of cap badges needed to confirm.

regards

Michelle_2 06-03-19 06:51 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Zoomed in as requested

tonyb 06-03-19 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_2 (Post 471179)
Zoomed in as requested

The first photograph is the 4th Hussars.
Tony.

Michelle_2 07-03-19 10:18 AM

Do the 4th hussars have any other names? Looked them up and apparently they started in Ireland? Confused as can't find any family members in that regiment so don't know why my great grandma would have pictures of them?

Also the Leicestershire ones, the 2 badges look slightly different, is this because of different regiments?

Sorry about all the questions I am new to this!

Michelle

Phil2M 07-03-19 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_2 (Post 471179)
Zoomed in as requested

The second picture is the Leicestershire Regt. regular battalion cap badge, the other one (4th image) is the Territorial battalion cap badge.

Edit: Winston Churchill was a junior officer in the 4th Hussars.

Phil2M 07-03-19 10:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From Wikipedia:

Alan O 07-03-19 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_2 (Post 471152)
I have uploaded the one with the 1 soldier and the soldiers with the horse again, I will have to do the others when I get home tonight, let me know if these ones still aren't that clear and I will have to try and scan them. Trouble is, the photos themselves aren't really very clear to begin with :/

Michelle

This group shot looks like a pre-war Territorial Force camp so your man was a pre-war Territorial by the look of it.

Alan