British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   New Member Introduction Zone (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   BlueBadger here! (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43644)

BlueBadger 26-12-14 07:12 AM

BlueBadger here!

Hello everyone. I currently live in North Carolina, USA, but grew up in the UK around the miliaria circuit. I began collecting RAF and Luftwaffe items when I was 12 and managed to amass a substantial collection. Since getting married in 2006, I have shifted to collecting any and all British WW2 Women's items, specifically hats, insignia and photographs. As there is little in the way of references on this area (besides the invaluable efforts of Jon Mills), my wife and I hope to compile an A to Z uniform and insignia reference for all things women for the British in WW2 to rival the recent references on the US women's items. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated, specifically any items for sale or shared for viewing. I hope to build a book from and of the community and document the collections of others, as well as museums, to offer the best possible array of variances to the collector. I plan to begin with an online museum of sorts cataloging my own items with a feature that can showcase other collections within each specified category. If you are interested in collaborating or assisting with research on this subject, please do not hesitate to contact me.

A little about myself... I'm currently a police officer, formerly a member of the US Air Force. My parents (prolific miliaria collectors themselves) still reside in the UK, which keeps my international collecting alive at present. My wife began collecting perspex sweetheart brooches and jewelry items when my focus was in RAF, but now has expanded to include all nursing items, AFS-NFS and land army, to name a few. We are a true family of collectors. We are both greatly looking forward to furthering our knowledge and sharing our collections with this forum.

grenadierguardsman 26-12-14 12:34 PM

Welcome BlueBadger.

41st 26-12-14 12:45 PM

Sorry, can't help with your interest but welcome and good luck.
Hwyl fawr

2747andy 26-12-14 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBadger (Post 291510)
Hello everyone. I currently live in North Carolina, USA, but grew up in the UK around the miliaria circuit. I began collecting RAF and Luftwaffe items when I was 12 and managed to amass a substantial collection. Since getting married in 2006, I have shifted to collecting any and all British WW2 Women's items, specifically hats, insignia and photographs. As there is little in the way of references on this area (besides the invaluable efforts of Jon Mills), my wife and I hope to compile an A to Z uniform and insignia reference for all things women for the British in WW2 to rival the recent references on the US women's items. Any help in this area would be greatly appreciated, specifically any items for sale or shared for viewing. I hope to build a book from and of the community and document the collections of others, as well as museums, to offer the best possible array of variances to the collector. I plan to begin with an online museum of sorts cataloging my own items with a feature that can showcase other collections within each specified category. If you are interested in collaborating or assisting with research on this subject, please do not hesitate to contact me.

A little about myself... I'm currently a police officer, formerly a member of the US Air Force. My parents (prolific miliaria collectors themselves) still reside in the UK, which keeps my international collecting alive at present. My wife began collecting perspex sweetheart brooches and jewelry items when my focus was in RAF, but now has expanded to include all nursing items, AFS-NFS and land army, to name a few. We are a true family of collectors. We are both greatly looking forward to furthering our knowledge and sharing our collections with this forum.

BB,
Welcome to all members of your family, like Kevin I probably don't have much from my own collection that ties in with your collectioning area, but I do have the occasional sweethear amongst my sales listings

Andy

Bill A 26-12-14 01:30 PM

Welcome BlueBadger.
You have undertaken a massive project. Do you intend to include Commonwealth women's military organizations as well?

Hussar100 27-12-14 01:27 PM

Nice to have another citizen of the world's largest free democracy on the forum sir, and a serving police officer too! I'm looking forward to interfacing with you in the future. :)

Roy 27-12-14 04:14 PM

Welcome to the forum bluebadger,

An interesting area of study and look forward to your progress.

Cheers, Roy.

BlueBadger 06-01-15 04:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill A (Post 291542)
Welcome BlueBadger.
You have undertaken a massive project. Do you intend to include Commonwealth women's military organizations as well?

I think I have my hands full with simply documenting all UK insignia at present. Maybe the commonwealth stuff could be a second volume in the distant future. Thankfully I'm only 37, so I have many years of collecting and research left!:D I'm here to learn, so please fill my brain with info and ideas.

BlueBadger 06-01-15 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hussar100 (Post 291606)
Nice to have another citizen of the world's largest free democracy on the forum sir, and a serving police officer too! I'm looking forward to interfacing with you in the future. :)

Perhaps you can point me in the direction of some good militaria fairs in the US. The ones around my area here in NC are lackluster compared to my years inside the UK circuit. Hardly worth the drive unless you collect German.

Hussar100 06-01-15 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueBadger (Post 293093)
Perhaps you can point me in the direction of some good militaria fairs in the US. The ones around my area here in NC are lackluster compared to my years inside the UK circuit. Hardly worth the drive unless you collect German.

Whoops, I think I've given you the wrong impression mate. I'm from Northern Ireland.

But there are others on the site from the good ole US of A who do know these things. May I suggest you drop Roy a line? He too is originally from Englandshire and now lives in Arizona - and has done for quite a while. If there's anything going on in your neck of the woods, he'll know.

While you're at it you might want to have a look at some of his stuff. I think he is trading and has a helluva good name on this site despite only being a member for a short while. :)

NEMO 06-01-15 05:11 PM

welcome

arrestingu 06-01-15 06:32 PM

welcome mate :D