British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Infantry (& Guards) Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77046)

Tinto 29-01-20 08:15 PM

3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Forum members,
Opinions welcome on this badge please.
Measures 75mmX63mm approx.
Thanks,
Tinto

Fatherofthree 30-01-20 12:09 AM

Greetings Tinto.

I do not offer any expertise on these particular badges, but I must confess I like this offering and in my opinion I believe it's a genuine item.

As always though, I stand to be corrected.

Regards.

Brian

Tinto 30-01-20 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fatherofthree (Post 498774)
Greetings Tinto.

I do not offer any expertise on these particular badges, but I must confess I like this offering and in my opinion I believe it's a genuine item.

As always though, I stand to be corrected.

Regards.

Brian

Hi Brian,
Thanks for your comments.
I wondered about the numeral "3" which is different from the usual flat-topped 3 seen on other 3rd Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers badges.
Regards,
John

Toby Purcell 30-01-20 09:45 AM

I think it’s a very good and genuine badge, with a crisp striking and compelling signs of natural ageing. The style of the numeral is typical of the earlier usage with the bulbous ends typical of numbers used on soldiers forage caps.

Tinto 30-01-20 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Purcell (Post 498792)
I think it’s a very good and genuine badge, with a crisp striking and compelling signs of natural ageing. The style of the numeral is typical of the earlier usage with the bulbous ends typical of numbers used on soldiers forage caps.

Thank you very much, Toby.
Regards, John

grenadierguardsman 30-01-20 04:50 PM

The detail of the lettering is superb, good picture too.
Andy

Tinto 14-02-20 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 498831)
The detail of the lettering is superb, good picture too.
Andy

Thanks, Andy. Here are comments from the Curator of the Cameronians Museum in Hamilton, Scotland:

"Many thanks for your enquiry. I thought this would be quite an easy question to answer but …no! The badge would date anything from 1870 – 1908.

The photograph is very clear, but the puzzling factor is the number ‘3’ On any badges we have, or have seen, the ‘3’ is formed with a flat top line. I did see a single example of a motif containing the curved ‘3’ but not in badge form. The surrounding shape is akin to the officer’s badge but there is no laurel leaf below.

So, to summarise, it may be genuine, but an example which is quite rare, or it may be faked. I would tend to believe the former.

Sorry not to be of much help. An idea I had was for you to contact a Ken Gibb of the Scottish Football Museum. His speciality is anything to do with the now defunct Third Lanark Football Club and its association with the Volunteers. I believe he has a collection of badges and may help. You will find a contact form on their website."

Cheers, Tinto

Luke H 14-02-20 07:32 PM

Hi John,
Could you post a pic of the bases of the loops please?
Cheers,
Luke

Tinto 14-02-20 08:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 500340)
Hi John,
Could you post a pic of the bases of the loops please?
Cheers,
Luke

Hi Luke,
A couple of shots for you. No sign of feet on these lugs/loops.
Cheers,
John

Luke H 14-02-20 08:26 PM

Hi John,
They’re old as the hills those loops. No way is that a fake. Definitely falls into the curators ‘example which is quite rare’ option I’d say. Nice badge well done.
Cheers,
Luke

Tinto 14-02-20 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 500349)
Hi John,
They’re old as the hills those loops. No way is that a fake. Definitely falls into the curators ‘example which is quite rare’ option I’d say. Nice badge well done.
Cheers,
Luke

Thanks for your confirmation, Luke.
I'm partial to these badges from Lanarkshire.
Cheers, John

grenadierguardsman 14-02-20 10:00 PM

I reckon its original. IMHO.
Andy

Tinto 14-02-20 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 500361)
I reckon its original. IMHO.
Andy

Thanks for the thumbs up, Andy.
Regards,
John

Toby Purcell 14-02-20 11:09 PM

The rounded ends to the numbers is a French style that was popular in the British Army during the Napoleonic and Regency periods. The fashion appears to have changed to the flat top in the 1840s and then on into the 1850s.

Tinto 15-02-20 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Purcell (Post 500374)
The rounded ends to the numbers is a French style that was popular in the British Army during the Napoleonic and Regency periods. The fashion appears to have changed to the flat top in the 1840s and then on into the 1850s.

Thanks for the information, Toby.
I note that in Kipling and King's Vol.1, that several "French-Pattern Shako: 1855-1861" plates have this rounded end "3".
Regards, John