British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Formation Signs and Patches (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   37 Armoured Transport Squadron (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47731)

Postwarden 13-08-15 05:33 PM

37 Armoured Transport Squadron

1 Attachment(s)
In an old issue of The Formation Sign a member who had served with 37 Armoured Transport Squadron reported wearing this sign on his arm. The design represents an armed soldier with bayonet fixed leaping from a kangaroo's pouch, a reference to the turretless tanks known as Kangaroo's used at the time as Armoured Personnel Carriers. The triangle was said to be khaki coloured.

Has anyone got an example tucked away in their unidentified box?

Jon

54Bty 18-08-15 10:45 AM

Nice one, but, never seen or heard of it.

Marc

Mike Jackson 18-08-15 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postwarden (Post 319059)
In an old issue of The Formation Sign a member who had served with 37 Armoured Transport Squadron reported wearing this sign on his arm. The design represents an armed soldier with bayonet fixed leaping from a kangaroo's pouch, a reference to the turretless tanks known as Kangaroo's used at the time as Armoured Personnel Carriers. The triangle was said to be khaki coloured.

Has anyone got an example tucked away in their unidentified box?

Jon

Jon, To me the unit title seems strange - I can find no reference to a 37 Squadron in the RASC (when did RASC adopt Sqn in place of Coy?). Nor can I find an Armd Tpt Sqn anywhere in any British Order of battle - Armoured Carriers and /or Armoured Personnel Carriers yes, but Armd Tpt Sqn no.
Did the RAAC ever carry out trials with (tank-based) Kangaroos? Mike

WJ Miller 22-09-18 05:17 PM

37 ATS, RASC in Egypt (MELF) 1947

3 Attachment(s)
Gentlemen, sorry to be coming to the party 3 years late, but I was looking for some information about 37 Armd Trasport Sqn myself this morning and coming up blank only to find myself circling around to the badge forum of all places!

I have an RASC document circa 1946-47, about the proving grounds trial of Ram kangaroo fitted with an experimental AA gun mount. The Ram in question was drawn from #37 Armoured Transport Squadron, RASC. See attached screenshot of document.

The Sleeve insignia shown looks very similar to a triangular insignia painted on the front of a Ram Kangaroo I have, taken in Egypt or Palestine in 1947.

Very little is known about the Ram Kangaroos operated by MELF units. I also have seen dome RAC personnel with Ram Kangaroos in Libya in 1947-48. Presumably MELF used Kangaroos throughout their occupation of the Region? I'm still trying to obtain more details/facts about this so have more questions than answers at this time.

Mike Jackson 22-09-18 05:40 PM

What a remarkable piece of investigation. I am very impressed. Can't help thinking that operating Canadian-built AFVs in the Middle East in the late 1940s must have been a bit of a logistic "challenge" (as they say these days).