British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Off topic (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=50)
-   -   Old forum back ? (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75294)

mike_vee 19-09-19 10:52 AM

Old forum back ?

I see the forum has reverted back to the old one , is this temporary ?

All posts from past few days have disappeared :confused:

High Wood 19-09-19 11:08 AM

I have just discovered the exact same thing, it is as if the new forum was all a dream and you were in it, or is this the dream and we are both still asleep?

JerryBB 19-09-19 11:19 AM

Mike has posted in the new members section saying he made an executive decision to revert to the old forum.

Probably makes many of us happy:D

Charliedog012012 19-09-19 12:05 PM

It feels like slipping your feet into a pair of old but favourite comfortable slippers.

manchesters 19-09-19 12:24 PM

I cannot read my new private messages in this the old restored forum.

Is it just me|??

regards

mike_vee 19-09-19 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 488342)

Is it just me|??

regards

Mike made a post about restoring the old forum and said :

"I chose the 14th Sept snapshot. Anything you have contributed to the site from that point in time is permanently - deleted - gone - never coming back-"

So I guess that includes any private messages from 14th until lunch time today.

yorkstone 19-09-19 04:02 PM

Huzzah my brain was on melt down yesterday

Regards

Stephen

Mike_2817 19-09-19 04:35 PM

Unable to access 'New Posts' and having to use Quick Links and 'Todays Posts' is this on the list of things to be restored?

mike_vee 19-09-19 04:46 PM

Personal opinion

I'm a techno-dinosaur , even though I have a 'smart phone' , tablet and laptop.

I use my laptop (running Windows 7) mostly because small screens and keyboards don't go with bad eyesight and 'sausage' fingers.

That said , I don't think people gave the new site a chance. Within hours there were complaints and people threatening not to come back.

Yes , there were 'bugs' and things weren't 'familiar' but some of these were solved and no doubt people would soon find their way around the 'new' forum.

When people get a new phone it usually take a few weeks to find/use some of the settings and most likely people rely on help/advice from others to make basic changes (how many have to ask kids/grandkids for help ?).

This version of the forum is old/outdated and if (more likely when) it gets hacked/spammed/crashes , who will be blamed for not updating the security etc.

After all that , I'm glad the old forum is back but I think we are simply putting off the inevitable and the forum will need to be 'upgraded' within 1 year.

mike_vee 19-09-19 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 488348)
Unable to access 'New Posts' and having to use Quick Links and 'Todays Posts' is this on the list of things to be restored?

manchesters 19-09-19 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by manchesters (Post 488342)

Is it just me|??

regards

ok now

Rob Miller 19-09-19 05:00 PM

I'm very pleased it hasn't changed, but I accept that one day it probably will.

And I would like to thank Mike for his patience.

Rob

Khyber 19-09-19 05:17 PM

I appreciate Mike's effort, but am glad the old forum is back. I'm a tech dodo, but could the update not be done keeping the same look and feel, and still ensure that it was secure against spam/hacks.

At some point the issue will have to be addressed I guess but for now am happy!

Peter Brydon 19-09-19 06:20 PM

If nothing else the exercise has confirmed what we already knew , that is that militaria collectors and members of the Forum tend not to be in the first flush of youth.

P. B.

leigh kitchen 19-09-19 06:25 PM

Eh? Wossat? Speak up, bit louder.