British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   2 badges need help to ID time period (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85057)

Jackhr 25-05-21 02:03 AM

2 badges need help to ID time period

2 Attachment(s)
Hi all
I have 2 badges I need to ID and to what time period . One is VDC but I have never seen this type before the other ???

Thanks Rob

Chacal 25-05-21 06:05 AM

Hi Rob

The chevrons are US Marine Corps sergeants collar rank, still worn as far as I know. The VDG is 5th (Royal Inniskilling) Dragoon Guards, worn from 1922 until c. 1953 when the QC version would have come out.

The 5th Dragoon Guards (Princess Charlotte of Wales's) and the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons amalgamated in 1922 forming the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards, which in turn amalgamated with the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards to form the Royal Dragoon Guards in 1992.

Graham

Jackhr 25-05-21 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chacal (Post 550558)
Hi Rob

The chevrons are US Marine Corps sergeants collar rank, still worn as far as I know. The VDG is 5th (Royal Inniskilling) Dragoon Guards, worn from 1922 until c. 1953 when the QC version would have come out.

The 5th Dragoon Guards (Princess Charlotte of Wales's) and the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons amalgamated in 1922 forming the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards, which in turn amalgamated with the 4th/7th Royal Dragoon Guards to form the Royal Dragoon Guards in 1992.

Graham

Thanks Graham any idea of value ?? Also is the badge correct not a restrike ??

Rob

Wmr-RHB 25-05-21 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chacal (Post 550558)
The 5th Dragoon Guards (Princess Charlotte of Wales's) and the 6th (Inniskilling) Dragoons amalgamated in 1922 forming the 5th Royal Inniskilling Dragoon Guards, .....

Graham

Not quite correct I believe.
The 1922 amalgamation resulted in the 5th/6th Dragoons. In 1927 redesignated as 5th Inniskilling Dragoon Guards.

And when I am correct, the badge above was in use since that 1927 redesignation. Until then the badge of the former 5th Dragoon Guards was still worn.

badgecollector 25-05-21 09:05 AM

hi Rob
so you bought the supposed VDC lot.
i emailed the seller advising it was 5 Dragoon Guards not australian VDC
no reply.
the badges are good. not rare. and not worth what the lot sold for
bc

Jackhr 25-05-21 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 550569)
hi Rob
so you bought the supposed VDC lot.
i emailed the seller advising it was 5 Dragoon Guards not australian VDC
no reply.
the badges are good. not rare. and not worth what the lot sold for
bc

Yep I did not look at it with very clear eyes and i had a sniper on it ... so lesson learnt check things out properly . I hope the pug is ok ??

Do you want to buy a nice badge :p

badgecollector 25-05-21 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackhr (Post 550571)
Yep I did not look at it with very clear eyes and i had a sniper on it ... so lesson learnt check things out properly . I hope the pug is ok ??

Do you want to buy a nice badge :p

LOL nah, not for me.
but it happens to us all
bc

Jackhr 25-05-21 10:41 AM

So what it the VDG badge and the pug worth ?