British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Kings Regiment cap comforter (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81345)

Peter Brydon 23-10-20 12:33 PM

Kings Regiment cap comforter

1 Attachment(s)
Interesting picture from Korea, soldier back row ,far left wearing a cap comforter ( thanks Taff) but with a cap badge and badge backing.

P.

leigh kitchen 23-10-20 12:41 PM

Unusual - definitely a cap comforter?
I cant see he'd be wearing a souvenired side-cap of some kind (though I know from a short period of service in Kenya decades later that Kenyan army issue khaki slouch hats were de rigeur with some chaps whilst off duty.
A souvenir Bombay Bowler being sported too? Looks rather like one of the Amwerican pressed fibre ones.

54Bty 23-10-20 10:25 PM

Some of them look as though they don't have a badge backing.

Marc

Peter Brydon 24-10-20 09:20 AM

Marc, you might be right but dark red on dark blue might not be noticeable in a b and w photo.

P.

KLR 24-10-20 10:52 AM

I see what you mean - the only ones that I'm pretty sure that have patches
standing row - 2nd from right
middle / seated row - all seated ones except sergeant
front row - 1st from left

On many you can see the rectangular top of the backing.

nice! (who owns this and may I copy it?)
J

JerryBB 25-10-20 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brydon (Post 526384)
Interesting picture from Korea, soldier back row ,far left wearing a cap comforter ( thanks Taff) but with a cap badge and badge backing.

P.

Never say never...interesting pic of very unusual headgear

mojob123 29-10-20 11:58 PM

Cap Comforter

I had a cap comforter as a lad which, as I recall, was just an enclosed tube of stretchy material. You pushed one end up inside the other to create an open ended tube (ie a 'hat'), pulled it over your head and then turned it up all round to create the familiar commando 'cap'. Looks like the badge, presumably on a slider, is just hooked over the turn-up. Possibly just for the photo, but not necessarily a permanent arrangement. Wish I still had it now, but the moths got it in the days when they weren't worth anything.

Peter Brydon 31-10-20 01:36 PM

I have in the past owned a ( Kings Regiment) khaki field service cap where the badge had been stitched into position presumably because the owner though the slider was not enough to hold the badge in position.

I would not be surprised if the cap badge and backing had not been stitched onto the cap comforter.

P.

Royal 05-11-20 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brydon (Post 527312)
I would not be surprised if the cap badge and backing had not been stitched onto the cap comforter.

P.

I no longer have my old cap comforter - having happily chucked it into a black gash bag in exchange for my green beret - but it was a tube, rolled each time it was worn into the 'correct' shape. Would someone really stitch a cap badge onto something that needs to be re-shaped every time its worn?

Peter Brydon 05-11-20 10:41 AM

Possibly not but there again how many times have you seen a cap badge on a cap comforter?

Both the badge and backing would, I would have thought ,moved almost constantly, hence my suggested possibility.

P.

Royal 05-11-20 02:07 PM

Fair point Peter :)