British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Airborne, Elite and Special Forces Insignia (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Para wings, incredible selling price (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79782)

Luc 15-07-20 01:01 PM

Para wings, incredible selling price

2 Attachment(s)
These lovely wings just sold for £1,220.00. :eek:

3battalion 15-07-20 02:27 PM

A lot of suspicious bidding from one bidder but whoever one this wing certainly paid top dollar.

Paul

Mike B 15-07-20 02:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here are mine Luc - Attributed to Force 133 veteran.
I was a little unsure of the ones you provide an image of - construction of chute etc - but I am no expert - just prefer attributed if spending that sort of money.

irish 15-07-20 05:20 PM

I have a version of the same wing. Belonging to an OSS veteran who was part of the Special Bari Section Italy. Posted that example several years back.

This style of wing is seen worn in a famous photo of the SOE agent Krystyna Skarbek / Christine Granville. The photo is noted to have been taken at the end of the war.

In a book about Christine Granville recently finished it notes that she had attended jump school training in Haifa (SOE) as well in Algeria. She had also spent time in Cairo and Southern France ..I believe it is still an unknown as to where these wings were made.?? Is this still the case?

The link to the thread unfortunately has photobucket banners over the photos. But still legible

https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/fo...ad.php?t=68926

mike_vee 15-07-20 06:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by irish (Post 516312)
This style of wing is seen worn in a famous photo of the SOE agent Krystyna Skarbek / Christine Granville. The photo is noted to have been taken at the end of the war.

Photo is titled "Algiers 1944".

irish 15-07-20 06:22 PM

Thanks Mike... the photo that appeared in the book I referenced is shown in Post 22 Of the attached thread.... any thoughts on where made?

mike_vee 15-07-20 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by irish (Post 516318)
Thanks Mike... the photo that appeared in the book I referenced is shown in Post 22 Of the attached thread.... any thoughts on where made?

Sorry , no idea but the original is part of a collection at the IWM.

Frank Kelley 15-07-20 06:54 PM

Does that include the safety pin?:eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Luc (Post 516265)
These lovely wings just sold for £1,220.00. :eek:

pontecagnano 17-07-20 04:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Did anyone have any thoughts on the brooched 1943 pattern brass SAS cap badge listed by the seller, at the same time, then taken down?

Graham

Mike B 17-07-20 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pontecagnano (Post 516534)
Did anyone have any thoughts on the brooched 1943 pattern brass SAS cap badge listed by the seller, at the same time, then taken down?

Graham

To me it looks to have masses of potential for an extremely rare original - broached but a fine thing to my eyes

HamandJam 18-07-20 06:10 AM

It’s a fake give it a wide birth... JB
Quote:

Originally Posted by pontecagnano (Post 516534)

Graham

arrestingu 18-07-20 06:47 AM

Hi JB
Please expand ..on it's a fake ??......I personally like it and believe it's correct . First sand cast type Egyptian made.
Cheers
Steve

Mike B 18-07-20 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HamandJam (Post 516599)
It’s a fake give it a wide birth... JB

Acknowledging your expertise JB - can you add anything to enlighten us without giving too much away - PM if preferred. May be the letter font?

Mike B 20-07-20 05:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sadly I am not the lucky purchaser of this grouping - but received this image of the grouping - with assurance the grouping all belonged to the same individual, and had not passed out of the family - until sold this last week. I understand Signal skills took the veteran into varied service within Raiding Forces. My understanding is that - indicative of Raiding Forces Middle East being a 'melting pot' - 1 SAS, SBSqn, and Raiding Support Regiment are all noted. The cast SAS badge was apparently converted to a sweetheart broach for the veteran's wife after wear by the veteran in his headdress.
It is very satisfying that the items, which included a significant amount of paperwork, ephemera, and photographs, have been purchased collectively, remain together, and that further research is intended. As stated - the grouping is not mine - but I am allowed to share this image with members
Regards
Mike

Tanker Mike 20-07-20 07:31 PM

Outstanding grouping, wonderful.
Mike