British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Army Departments and Corps Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   WRAC badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71319)

Anjoucollector 26-12-18 07:12 PM

WRAC badge

2 Attachment(s)
Good evening,

I need your advice about this WRAC badge. Thank you

Mike_2817 09-01-19 04:56 PM

WRAC badges are normaly sliders as the Beech Brown Badge Backing has a built in pocket for it. Looks to me to be a Officers Collar Badge as only Officers wear them.

Anjoucollector 09-01-19 05:22 PM

Thank you for your reply

I think you are right about the collar badge. It is only 4 cm high, too small for a cap badge

54Bty 09-01-19 05:44 PM

The original (1950) badges were lugged as yours is, shanks were added c1954. I have never seen this pattern used as a collar badge.

Officers Collar below.
Marc

Mike H 09-01-19 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 54Bty (Post 464831)
The original (1950) badges were lugged as yours is, shanks were added c1954. I have never seen this pattern used as a collar badge.

Officers Collar below.
Marc

The ORs collar is the same, usually in gold anodised.

54Bty 09-01-19 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 464834)
The ORs collar is the same, usually in gold anodised.

Only to be worn by WO1's.

Marc

grey_green_acorn 09-01-19 06:34 PM

3 Attachment(s)
WRAC QC gold anodised collar badges and officers QC and KC gilt badges:

Tim

leigh kitchen 09-01-19 07:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
In 1972/73 I picked up half dozen WRAC bimetal badges at a junk shop in Lee, SE London, a King's Crown lugged and some St Edward's Crown slidered. One of the slidered was exchanged with a WRAC in 'Derry for an anodised aluminium version.
It took me until a couple of years ago to get around to getting a slidered bimetal King's Crown badge, it came on a named, 1963 dated beret.
The badge fitting is different to the norm in berets, not consisting of a sewn on pocket on the inside of the headgear.
Presumably the lugged badges weren't considered suitable for use on women's headgear, the cotter pin being liable to catch in the hair and the style of badge fitting is an extension of this consideration.

dubaiguy 09-01-19 07:49 PM

Both the QC and KC officer's gilt collars in my WRAC collection, have solid flat backs (die-cast?) - I'm assuming the one's Tim shows are the same construction. They look the same from the pics! However, I also have a pair of gilding metal (definitely not gilt) KC collars that are die-stamped. In light of this thread would they then only be worn by a WO1 and possibly with just an ordinary bi-metal cap badge?

Thanks
Mark

Mike_2817 09-01-19 08:12 PM

I came back to correct myself on the main design of Officers Collar, but see I have been beaten to it :o

Re Other Ranks Collar badges - 'most' WRAC' are seconded to other Corps in their given trade and wear a Regimental collar badge of the Regiment/Corps above the left breast pocket. I remember many such WRAC wearing RAOC badges while in service.

What 'regimentally employed' WRAC at Gilford wore I do not know.

At Bicester in the early 70's we had a WRAC CSM who wore a RAOC collar badge, and I must admit I cannot remember what the attached WRAC WO1's (of which we had a few at Bicester) wore on No2 dress, but they did wear a RAOC badge on the green pullover.

grenadierguardsman 09-01-19 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 464845)
In 1972/73 I picked up half dozen WRAC bimetal badges at a junk shop in Lee, SE London, a King's Crown lugged and some St Edward's Crown slidered. One of the slidered was exchanged with a WRAC in 'Derry for an anodised aluminium version.
It took me until a couple of years ago to get around to getting a slidered bimetal King's Crown badge, it came on a named, 1963 dated beret.
The badge fitting is different to the norm in berets, not consisting of a sewn on pocket on the inside of the headgear.
Presumably the lugged badges weren't considered suitable for use on women's headgear, the cotter pin being liable to catch in the hair and the style of badge fitting is an extension of this consideration.

Half a dozen Leigh ? Is that the amount of WRAC's you conquered whilst serving ?????
Andy:D:p:eek:

leigh kitchen 09-01-19 08:45 PM

No - they scared me, especially the RMP ones - small, but incredibly vicious.

leigh kitchen 09-01-19 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 464847)
I came back to correct myself on the main design of Officers Collar, but see I have been beaten to it :o

Re Other Ranks Collar badges - 'most' WRAC' are seconded to other Corps in their given trade and wear a Regimental collar badge of the Regiment/Corps above the left breast pocket. I remember many such WRAC wearing RAOC badges while in service.

What 'regimentally employed' WRAC at Gilford wore I do not know.

At Bicester in the early 70's we had a WRAC CSM who wore a RAOC collar badge, and I must admit I cannot remember what the attached WRAC WO1's (of which we had a few at Bicester) wore on No2 dress, but they did wear a RAOC badge on the green pullover.

It took me time, but I finally got around to getting a WRAC "Trained Soldier" anodised aluminium badge a few months ago (the one that looks like a CG cap star with a rose in the centre).