British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Date a glengarry (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84825)

Trubia26 10-05-21 10:51 AM

Date a glengarry

5 Attachment(s)
Hello! Is it possible to date this glengarry just with the maker markings? The band is not leather...is sinthetyc...thank you!
Attachment 250931

Attachment 250932

Attachment 250933

Attachment 250934

Attachment 250935

Trubia26 10-05-21 10:54 AM

1 Attachment(s)
No badge markings

Attachment 250936

cbuehler 10-05-21 03:14 PM

Impossible to date with certainty, but leather bindings were usually worn by officers and could be as early as WW1 all the way up to WW2. Leather bindings tended to be discontinued in the 1940s, but that is a private purchase Glen, so could have been ordered by the officer as late as that time.

CB

Trubia26 10-05-21 03:20 PM

But the band is not leather... is sinthetyc...that means is not a wartime glen?

cbuehler 10-05-21 07:42 PM

I did not understand that it is not leather. I don't know what you mean by synthetic. Is it grosgrain cloth?

CB

Trubia26 10-05-21 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I am talking about this band...
Attachment 250974

It is not grosgrain...when I saw the pictures first time I thought It was leather, but Seller told me It is not...I asked him if it was Sky (syntetic leather) but he told me that It is some kind of sinthetyc cloth...nylon or similar...but not grosgrain...

Trubia26 10-05-21 09:10 PM

I know that actually Glengarries have grosgrain bands...but I don't know the material of the wartime glengarries bands...I know that WWI glengarries had leather bands...but wich material came after that? Grosgrain? Or the sinthetyc cloth of the glengarry I show here?

cbuehler 10-05-21 09:30 PM

I see now, that is a polished cotton binding, not synthetic, which was just a custom feature used by the private maker. That is not a WD issue Glen. Again, it could date anywhere from WW1 to WW2. A very nice cap!
Leather was not always used on earlier Glens. The older Grosgrain was made from Rayon, which was also used for the ribbon tails. Sometime in the 1960s or 70s, the material changed to Nylon Grosgrain.

CB

Trubia26 10-05-21 09:37 PM

So in your opinion it is not an army issue glengarry, but it is wartime...right?

Borderer 10-05-21 10:08 PM

Trubia26,

It is not in my opinion, Army issue Glengarry as the dicing colours are not right, the dicing colour should be Red, White and Dark Green for the King's Own Scottish Borderers and not black as illustrated in your example. However, some manufactures produce Glengarries for the civilian marked with Dark Blue and Black dicing rather than dark green, the green which one may describe as 'Bottle Green' can be difficult to see, this depends on the quality of the photograph and the kind of light used or not used.

What make me believe its a civilian Glengarry is the marking on the crown inside. Although officers did private purchase their uniform, the items strictly adhered to the regulation patterns, the regiments had selected tailors that the newly commissioned officer was advised to use, who held pattern books for their regiment also a copy of the regiments dress regulations as guidance.

As there is no badge holes on the rosette one will never know it origin or history of service, if any.

Best
Hiram

cbuehler 10-05-21 10:11 PM

Officers uniforms were generally privately purchased and not issued in ww2 and before.
It is genuine old Glengarry that would have been worn by a serving officer or possibly an NCO who could afford to make a private purchase.
Your Glen is more desirable and scarce than a common WD issue.

CB

Trubia26 11-05-21 05:17 AM

That sounds great Cbhueler! I like the Glen and your opinion makes the Glen more desirable...thank you!

Hiram, thanks for your help...I know that the really correct colour is green...but I have an army marked glengarry (about 80's era) and it is red, white and black...so I think that maybe the maker decided to use black instead a dark green colour...

gb64 11-05-21 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borderer (Post 549189)
Trubia26,

It is not an Army issue Glengarry as the dicing colours are wrong, the dicing colour should be Red, White and Dark Green and not black as illustrated in your example.

Best
Hiram

Hi Hiram,

Am i reading that correct ,in that you are saying all British Army glengarry's have a central green colour dice and never black :confused: [That's my collection knackerd then :eek::eek: ] The dicing colours/ pattern was different for some Scottish regiments or is it that the dark green you mention on all glengarrys appears black ? of the top of my head Kings Own Scottish Boarders had the Red, White, Green that's the only one i can remember at the moment, as the glengarry isn't badged we cant determine its Regiment or am i missing something ?

Gerard

cbuehler 11-05-21 01:43 PM

The dicing is red, dark blue, white; which is correct.

CB

Borderer 11-05-21 10:39 PM

1 Attachment(s)
The Green over time gets lighter with age, but originally dark green.

Best
Hiram