British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Coldstream Guards WO cap star (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84796)

Alex Rice 09-05-21 07:55 AM

Coldstream Guards WO cap star

2 Attachment(s)
Hi All
I recently found this CG WO cap star. It appears silver or silvered with a red enamel backing to the cross, but without the voiding on the motto. Is this a variation or a sweetheart brooch or just something else? It is the same size as a standard cap star.
Thanks, cheers,
Alex

grenadierguardsman 09-05-21 02:19 PM

I reckon that badge has been altered. IMHO.
Andy

Alex Rice 09-05-21 02:49 PM

In what way? :confused:
Other than perhaps having the lugs replaced by a brooch pin it looks all original to me.

grenadierguardsman 09-05-21 03:12 PM

I reckon it's been done by hand rather than die, those rear 3 tabs don't look uniform to me ?
Andy

Alex Rice 10-05-21 05:31 AM

Hi Andy
Ok, I understand what you meant now :). The badge has a raised ring which locates the enamel disc. The ring looks original to the badge but the tabs do look hand cut to fold over. It is a well made piece.
Cheers,
Alex

Alex Rice 22-05-21 02:01 PM

No opinions or ideas? :confused:

Hawthorn 22-05-21 02:05 PM

Alex,

Can't really add much other than to say it is not a Cap Star I ever encountered during my service with The Coldstream, perhaps a Sweetheart badge made from an unfinished Warrant Officers outer Star with the reverse hand finished as Andy mentioned. What is the quality of the red enamel backing like, looks quite dull from the images?

Regards, Simon.

Alex Rice 23-05-21 08:29 AM

Th enamel is quite nice but dirty, I haven't tried to clean it.

Hawthorn 23-05-21 08:45 AM

Thanks Alex, an intriguing Cap Star, will ask around some ex Coldstreamers and see if anyone has seen similar.

Regards, Simon.

Mike H 23-05-21 09:01 AM

To me,it seems as if the blue enamel (garter) is missing,and shows no sign of ever being enamelled.
Is this an unfinished piece which was then converted to a brooch or used on something else ?

Alex Rice 23-05-21 09:32 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I don't think this is unfinished at all. The blue enamel would be unnecessary as the letters are not voided, so wouldn't have been visible. I have attached some images of the centres of CG WO badges and the lettering on the voided examples is totally different, reaching to the edges of the garter to enable to voiding to be done. The solid example has small, neat lettering which is separated from the edges of the garter so in my opinion, there was never any intention for this to be voided.
Cheers,
Alex

Hawthorn 23-05-21 09:39 AM

Absolutely correct Alex, no way that your example could have been voided in my opinion. it was made that way, but for what purpose?

Simon.

grenadierguardsman 31-05-22 04:21 PM

Chaps, have a closer look at the bottom horizontal parts of the cross, they are not uniform. It's an OR's badge thats been altered.
Andy

Alex Rice 01-06-22 06:58 AM

Hi Andy
Good sleuthing, that may be the answer.
Cheers,
Alex