British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Anodised Aluminium Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=82)
-   -   R A HUGHES LTD (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92662)

Ex Supt Clk RAOC 24-02-23 02:43 PM

R A HUGHES LTD

1 Attachment(s)
Hi

Back in 2009 when Hagwalther (Chris Marsh) was researching for his book Anodised Aluminium: The 'No Bull' cap Badges of the British Army, he posted a request for assistance with regards to which badges had been made by R A HUGHES Ltd.

Looking back at that post today I see that the following were submitted as having been manufactured by HUGHES:

3rd Carabiniers
The Loyal Regt (Tudor Crown)
Royal Irish Fusiliers
Royal Welch Fusiliers
The Worcestershire Regt
Royal Engineers
Intelligence Corps (Tudor Crown)
Royal Army Service Corps
Sherwood Foresters Regt (Notts & Derby)

These were written up in Appendix 5 of the book, with the exception of The Sherwood Forcesters Regt. which for some reason was not listed.

In adddition to those listed above there was mention by Mike H of KSLI and by Anodisedbob of REME.

I am trying to complete a comprehensive collection of the badges manufactured by R A HUGHES (PHOTOGRAPH ATTACHED) and wish to ask the following questions of members.

a. Does the KSLI badge exist manufactured by HUGHES (Mike H - can you or anyone else confirm)

b. Does the REME badge exist manufactured by HUGHES (Anodisedbob - can you or anyone else confirm)

c. so far i am missing the Worcestershire Regt, can anyone confirm that this badge exists made by HUGHES, and in addition has anyone got a spare for sale or knowledge of where i could find one.

d. I did have the Shrewood Foresters (Notts and Derby Regt) but sadly the slider has broken away from the badge and i am now unable to locate it. Does anyone have a spare for sale or knowledge or where i could find one.

sorry for such a long post but i am keen to complete this collection and have it mounted and framed.

Thanks and Best Regards
Steve

ps: comments welcome or private messages also welcome

mike_vee 24-02-23 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ex Supt Clk RAOC (Post 597324)
a. Does the KSLI badge exist manufactured by HUGHES (Mike H - can you or anyone else confirm)

Found this :

Quote:

Nice early badge with a scarce makers name - R.A Hughes Ltd.
All Gold K.S.L.I anodised

Ex Supt Clk RAOC 24-02-23 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mike_vee (Post 597325)

Thanks very much Mike, looks like i need to add this to my list of wanted badges then. Anyone reading this that has a spare or will part with one please let me know.
Regards
Steve

Mike H 24-02-23 03:52 PM

Duplicate post

Mike H 24-02-23 03:54 PM

100% KSLI with the Hughes mark exists. I had an example which Bess now has. Its in the correct confirguration of silver and.gold. They are pretty scarce,im still looking for another.

Worcestershire also definately exists. Less scarce than the KSLI.

Ex Supt Clk RAOC 24-02-23 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike H (Post 597331)
100% KSLI with the Hughes mark exists. I had an example which Bess now has. Its in the correct confirguration of silver and.gold. They are pretty scarce,im still looking for another.

Worcestershire also definately exists. Less scarce than the KSLI.

Thank You,
Looks like i'm not as close to completing this mini collection as i thought i was.
Regards
Steve

bess55 24-02-23 05:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I have all of the above apart from the Notts & Derby Regt - and never seen one.

Interestingly, the Cheshire Regt has a seeded strap.

Attached R A HUGHES KSLI for interest.

Bess

bess55 24-02-23 06:04 PM

Have never seen a REME example either.

bobanodised 25-02-23 12:39 PM

Reme

Apologies,badge hunting abroad!. Will send photos of REME when I get back after Monday.
Bob

Ex Supt Clk RAOC 25-02-23 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobanodised (Post 597400)
Apologies,badge hunting abroad!. Will send photos of REME when I get back after Monday.
Bob

Thanks Bob,
Look forward to seeing the photo and thus confirmation that it's another that i need to complete my collection.

Regards
Steve

ps: good hunting !

Ex Supt Clk RAOC 01-03-23 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobanodised (Post 597400)
Bob

Bob,
PM Sent
Did you manage to find the REME badge ?
Hope you were lucky in your badge hunting abroad.
Best Regards
Steve

bobanodised 01-03-23 06:12 PM

REME

2 Attachment(s)
Apologies, on inspection I don't have that one.
Two anodised and two brass sliders
Regards
Bob

Ex Supt Clk RAOC 01-03-23 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobanodised (Post 597731)
Apologies, on inspection I don't have that one.
Two anodised and two brass sliders
Regards
Bob

No problem Bob
Thanks for letting me know
Best Regards
Steve

Mike_2817 01-03-23 08:40 PM

I collect all aspects to RAOC and have never come across one to the Corps.

If I go to Outwood on Sunday it will be around 1000 hrs and will bring my RAOC examples with me.

Ex Supt Clk RAOC 02-03-23 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike_2817 (Post 597755)
I collect all aspects to RAOC and have never come across one to the Corps.

If I go to Outwood on Sunday it will be around 1000 hrs and will bring my RAOC examples with me.

Mike,
Sorry but i am unable to attend Outwood on Sunday. My youngest daughter is home for the weekend and i have not seen her in over a year due to her deployment in 2022 to Mali.
I will make a concerted effort to make it in April and we can have a catch up
Best Regards
Steve