British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Other Military Topics (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=70)
-   -   Records query (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71259)

Another Bubble 22-12-18 12:06 PM

Records query

At the outbreak of the Second World War, my Mum's Dad ran away from home with his best friend to join up.

They both had to lie about their age & occupation as they were both too young & both coal miners.

Part way through his training, my grandad realised the implications of what he'd done & wrote to his Mum, teling her what he'd done & where he was & asking her to come with his birth certificate to get him out. His friend still wanted to stay so asked my grandad not to say anything about him, so he didn't. My grandad went home to face the dangers that he was already familiar with & worked down the mines until he took early retirement in 1985, he married & had 7 children & 14 grandchildren. His friend got killed in action.

Is there any way I could find out which regiment he joined, albeit briefly, or would no such records exist? Asking him isn't an option as he died in 1993.

MarkGD 22-12-18 06:23 PM

Hi Another Bubble,
I still think records for ww2 are not yet released, however as family you can apply for them via the veterans agency, small cost applies.

https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records

Regards Mark

grenadierguardsman 22-12-18 07:58 PM

What was his friends name ?
Andy

Another Bubble 22-12-18 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grenadierguardsman (Post 463059)
What was his friends name ?
Andy

Sadly, nobody knows.

BWEF 23-12-18 09:48 AM

I know it is a long shot, but do you have anything with your grandfathers army number on it? Maybe something like a button stick kept as a souvenir?

If so, you can find out his unit almost instantly, without paying for his records and without waiting for them to arrive.

In the first part of WW2 the army was still using the number "blocks" first introduced in 1920. This means that if you have an other ranks number you have the unit he trained with.

For example: 2845123 would be the Seaforth Highlanders, 4421476 would be the Green Howards and so on.

Later in the war soldiers were given a slightly longer "General Service" number starting with 14. However, those who were already in the army retained their original number.

This means that, as I have an interest in the KRRC, I can spot a former 60th Rifles grave whilst at a CWGC Cemetery and place a poppy on it.

His number will still be in the "block" that runs from 6837001 to 6905000, no matter where the army later sent him.

Another Bubble 23-12-18 02:43 PM

Mum's out at the moment but when she gets back, I'll ask if she knows of any such souvenier. Personally, I doubt it but I will check.

Another Bubble 24-12-18 10:52 AM

BWEF, I checked with Mum last night & she's not aware of anything that he kept fom back then.

BWEF 24-12-18 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Another Bubble (Post 463248)
BWEF, I checked with Mum last night & she's not aware of anything that he kept fom back then.

Thats a shame. It could have saved you both time and money.

Still, you can still apply via the link given earlier in this thread.

Something else occurs to me. In 1939 the government did a register of England and Wales. Probably to do with the later introduction of identity cards. It is possible that those away with the forces got a mention?

I doubt it, but it could be worth a try as you can see it for free on "My Heritage". The only problem is that you have to give credit card details when you join for a trial period. However, if you make sure you cancel in time you will not be charged.

The reason I think it possible, but not likely, is that servicemen away from home due to WW1 got a mention on the "Absent Voters Lists" compiled for the 1918 election. Some of these survive, and will give you the mans unit, rank, number etc.

As I say, it is possible, but not probable. However, it might be worth a look as it is free. You could find out more about your family anyway. Remember, there was no 1941 Census due to WW2, and many of us will be dead before that would have been opened, if it existed.

I found via the 1939 Register that my great grandmother was still alive. In her 80s and living with one of her sons, my great uncle.