British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Cavalry, Yeomanry, Tank/RAC Badges (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   The Scottish Yeomanry pipers (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21666)

2LBH 20-12-11 08:02 AM

The Scottish Yeomanry pipers

Dear Gentlemen,
I suppose the Scottish Yeomanry (1992-1999) had its own bagpipers and drums. I'd like to know which cap badge was worn by pipers.
Thanks a lot.
Regards,
Phil

Peter Brydon 20-12-11 11:11 AM

Phil,

I dont know but in the picture there is soldier holding what appears to be a pipe banner and I wonder if he is a Piper,if he is, his headgear and badge are exactly the same as everybody elses ( other than the females )

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...oot/img004.jpg

P.B.

2LBH 20-12-11 11:22 AM

Thank you very much P.B!
May I ask you where you got that picture from? i'd be interested in seeing more pictures of the regiment.
Best regards and a Merry Xmas to you!
Phil

Peter Brydon 20-12-11 11:51 AM

Phil,

P.M. sent to you.

Peter

JON188 21-12-12 12:38 AM

Scottish yeomanry capbadge

Are all of the cap badges metal and by Firmin and son?
What's the going rate please?
Thanks
Jon

Alan O 21-12-12 06:18 AM

The photo is a red-herring. Pipers or not they would not wear the piper's badge on a beret. I don't know if they had a piper's badge but it would be worn on a glengarry if it was.

The standard cap badge used to be fairly common when dealers were flush with sold-off stock. Now this source has dried up prices are going up a bit but the badge can still be had for £10 or so on a good day. They are gilt and silver frosted finish with F&S on the back.

The femail sodlier appears to be wearing an RLC badge on a yeomanry beret.

2747andy 21-12-12 07:06 AM

There are also LB&B marked badges which were rejected by the Regiment at the time of formation and these soon flooded the collectors market! I wrote an article for Crown Imperial about the Scottish Yeomanry's badges in the early 1990's, I do not recall there being a Pipers badge? It is/was common practice for Pipers to wear a Glengarry in working/combat dress instead of a beret, so had the gentleman holding the banner in the photo been a piper, (which I don't think he was, as I know him) he would of probably be wearing one?

Andy

Alex Rice 21-12-12 05:42 PM

Hi All
My badge has 'FIRMIN' twice, one on the back of each of the pennons.
Cheers,
Alex

Malcolm Davey 21-12-12 07:05 PM

2 Attachment(s)
As you can see on the example i have it is marked F&S

Malc

JON188 21-12-12 07:08 PM

a lovely badge isn't it?
Jon

dubaiguy 22-12-12 09:24 AM

Variant

1 Attachment(s)
Here is an interesting variant.

The badge of the right is the same as Malcolm's with F&S marked behind each pennant. The badge on the left is the variant. If you look closely you will see that the gold and silver on the pennants has been reverved. Silver now being the top half.

I don't think it's a fake as it is very well made (construction being similar to the Firmin badge). Perhaps like the the LB&B badges that Andy refers to, it is a manufacturers sample that was not adopted by the Regiment.

I have had it about 15 years and it doesn't fit my collection, so if anyone needs a Scottish Yeomanry variant please drop me a pm.

best regards
Mark

dubaiguy 22-12-12 05:44 PM

Yeomanry variant now taken.
Mark

JON188 23-12-12 03:45 PM

Slightly different version again?

2 Attachment(s)
Guys
i will be selling this but am listing some badges in the relevant sections for interest
I note that this one appears to be two SILVER parts, with some slight gilding/golding on the inside. This looks different from the other badge in this thread where both parts LOOK SILVER?Attachment 75060

Attachment 75061

Arminius 13-11-16 10:11 PM

Scots Yeo Cap Badge

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Brydon (Post 147020)
Phil,

I dont know but in the picture there is soldier holding what appears to be a pipe banner and I wonder if he is a Piper,if he is, his headgear and badge are exactly the same as everybody elses ( other than the females )

http://i272.photobucket.com/albums/j...oot/img004.jpg

P.B.

To the best of my knowledge, this photo was taken about 1998 at the RHQ of the Scottish Yeomanry Inchdrewer House (now the Army Pipes and Drums School) and this small group were due to go to Bosnia-Herzegovina. There was no pipe band in the Regiment and no Glengarry badge so the pipe banner was possibly a decorative piece only. The female wearing the RLC cap badge was a chef. In its short existence 1992 - 1999 the Regiment wore the RAC cap badge from formation until late 1992 when a cloth cap badge was introduced pending production of the metal badge which was introduced during 1993.

Mike H 15-11-16 07:13 PM

I'm pretty sure that there a couple of variants of the cloth beret badge. There are most definitely "new metal" title in gilt "Scots Yeo" in a single line.