British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   The Home Front (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=102)
-   -   Railway Service badge. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91832)

High Wood 07-12-22 11:01 AM

Railway Service badge.

3 Attachment(s)
Unfortunately, the photograph is not clear enough to know which railway company employed the man wearing the badge.

Chipper 09-12-22 03:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Lovely pic.

Looks to me to possibly be blank around the edge, as per below. If so, could be either Rhymney Railway, or an early London Brighton & South Coast Railway, which were also blank till superseded with ones containing the name around the edge.

The crown is quite distinct, and it fits - to my eyes, anyway

Cheers, Tim

High Wood 09-12-22 08:56 PM

Tim,

many thanks for your imput. The post card has some details on the reverse regarding the baby. Cecil William Ash June 1919. Weight 19 1/2 pounds. Age 8 months.

From this I have found the names of the parents. The man wearing the badge is William Henry Ash. The 1911 Census lists his occupation as a Railway Clerk from Burnham, Somerset. On the 1939 Census he is till listed as a Railway Clerk but also as A.R.P. Railway Co. Sadly, the railway company is not mentioned.

Cecil, the young baby is, by 1939, serving as a Gunner in the 311 Anti Aircraft Battery. R.A.

Simon.

Chipper 10-12-22 12:33 PM

Hey Simon,

Yep, shame the company isn't mentioned. But a super photo, and lots of great info you've found out as well

Cheers, Tim

Hoot 10-12-22 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 592805)
Tim,

many thanks for your imput. The post card has some details on the reverse regarding the baby. Cecil William Ash June 1919. Weight 19 1/2 pounds. Age 8 months.

From this I have found the names of the parents. The man wearing the badge is William Henry Ash. The 1911 Census lists his occupation as a Railway Clerk from Burnham, Somerset. On the 1939 Census he is till listed as a Railway Clerk but also as A.R.P. Railway Co. Sadly, the railway company is not mentioned.

Cecil, the young baby is, by 1939, serving as a Gunner in the 311 Anti Aircraft Battery. R.A.

Simon.

Burnham was the terminus of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway at that time.

Chipper 10-12-22 03:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 592831)
Burnham was the terminus of the Somerset and Dorset Joint Railway at that time.

That is interesting, as the position and shape of the crown also match. Maybe the photo just didn't for some reason capture the writing around the edge? Or maybe I just can't see it :rolleyes:

Cheers, Tim

High Wood 10-12-22 10:35 PM

Apologies, I should have said that in 1911 he was lodging in New Moston, North Manchester so he was presumably working locally as a railway clerk. In 1939, he was living in Stourbridge.

Chipper 11-12-22 05:35 PM

OK, all Good, so what railway line would that make it? (assuming he was employed locally) I'll see if I have one that matches

Hoot 11-12-22 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chipper (Post 592897)
OK, all Good, so what railway line would that make it? (assuming he was employed locally) I'll see if I have one that matches

The London and North Western Railway.

Chipper 12-12-22 12:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OK, thanks, unlikely to be them, as I understand, 2 patterns of badge, neither look like the photo, but good to rule them out.

Cheers, Tim