British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   some new badges with a few questions (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78084)

badgecollector 03-04-20 03:12 AM

some new badges with a few questions

8 Attachment(s)
hi all
these along with a few others arrived the other day and i have a few questions on them.
any feedback would be grateful

why the HLI collars in gilt? what period?
is the Leicestershire badge an officers collar or FSC? what period?
what is the St.George collar badge?
what period is the RDF?
is the Garhwal rifles a collar or cap Badge? Hallmarked 1927 i think
what are the 2 Irish harps?

i think that's it
cheers in advance
bc

peter monahan 03-04-20 01:14 PM

Ashok Nath, in 'Sepoys and Sowars', lists the Garhwali badge as a 'headdress badge'. The 39th G Rifles wore broad brimmed hats, like those worn by the Gurkhas, rather than turbans.

BTW, which unit is the 'Cavalry' badge with the crossed lances? Indian Army as well?

Peter

irishhorse 03-04-20 01:35 PM

The Royal Dublin Fusiliers OR's shoulder title, worn in India c1897. WESTLAKE 1431. The harp badge with slider is said to be WWII Ulster Home Guard cap badge. The other is a collar badge, probably Canadian.

Hoot 03-04-20 03:52 PM

The Royal Leicestershire Regiment badge is an officers beret badge worn c1950 to 1958 by Regulars and c1950 to c1967 by TA officers.

Luke H 03-04-20 08:07 PM

The slidered harp badge is significantly different to the Ulster Home Guard badges shown in both Gaylor & K&K.

irishhorse 03-04-20 08:21 PM

https://irishconstabulary.com/viewto...p?p=4805#p4805

Not sure how accurate the information is.

ebro 03-04-20 09:41 PM

I also believe that the black harp with slider was worn during WW2 by the Ulster Home Guard. It was formed from the Ulster Special Constabulary.
Eddie

cbuehler 03-04-20 10:09 PM

The Royal Garwhal Rifles badge is very nice indeed! The HLI collars are officer type examples, impossible to date with certainty, although of course pre 1952.
The Royal Fusiliers grenade badge is again a nice pre 52 example for the FS cap.
The crossed lances appears to be the 7th Light Cavalry (Indian Army) and is a fine officer example as well.

CB

Luke H 03-04-20 10:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not intending to hijack the thread but theUHG badges shown in KK and Gaylor are like this one pictured below.

The difference I’ve been told is that RIC/RUC badges are looped (like the majority of police cap badges) whereas the UHG were slidered

I’ve attached a screenshot of the relevant post in the link provided by irishhorse.

The poster states the badge is the officers version of the RIC/RUC but because it has solid string is UHG. He then goes on to claim the ORs version to the UGH also has solid strings. No source is given for this information.

Personally I have never seen the type pictured below with solid strings in 25 years of collecting so highly doubt this claim. If this latter statement is indeed inaccurate then that would also likely call into question the claim about the officers badge.

Alternatively if the poster is correct then KK and Gaylor are both wrong and neither had or showed a UHG badge...

badgecollector 04-04-20 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peter monahan (Post 504993)
Ashok Nath, in 'Sepoys and Sowars', lists the Garhwali badge as a 'headdress badge'. The 39th G Rifles wore broad brimmed hats, like those worn by the Gurkhas, rather than turbans.

BTW, which unit is the 'Cavalry' badge with the crossed lances? Indian Army as well?

Peter

thanks peter
appreciate your comment.
its a beautiful badge all be it very small.
the Lancers badge is the 7 Light cavalry
BTW these will all be offered soon to the forum members first
cheers
bc

badgecollector 04-04-20 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoot (Post 505030)
The Royal Leicestershire Regiment badge is an officers beret badge worn c1950 to 1958 by Regulars and c1950 to c1967 by TA officers.

thanks hoot
didnt think it was a collar, thanks for providing the period it was worn
cheers
bc

badgecollector 04-04-20 12:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuehler (Post 505099)
The Royal Garwhal Rifles badge is very nice indeed! The HLI collars are officer type examples, impossible to date with certainty, although of course pre 1952.
The Royal Fusiliers grenade badge is again a nice pre 52 example for the FS cap.
The crossed lances appears to be the 7th Light Cavalry (Indian Army) and is a fine officer example as well.

CB

thanks CB
i didn't expect the Royal Fusiliers grenade badge as a pre 52 FS cap. thats awesome, thanks.
the 7th Light Cavalry (Indian Army) badge is a beautiful badge. i really like the indian officers badges
BTW these badges will be offered to the forum shortly
bc

badgecollector 04-04-20 12:58 AM

thanks all for the comments regarding the harps.
really interesting and what i find most interesting are the various opinions offered up.
cheers
bc

Luke H 04-04-20 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by badgecollector (Post 505116)
thanks all for the comments regarding the harps.
really interesting and what i find most interesting are the various opinions offered up.
cheers
bc

Thanks BC. I’ve pinged you a PM about the harps.
Cheers,
Luke

irishhorse 04-04-20 12:43 PM

UHG.

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Luke H (Post 505104)
Not intending to hijack the thread but theUHG badges shown in KK and Gaylor are like this one pictured below.

The difference I’ve been told is that RIC/RUC badges are looped (like the majority of police cap badges) whereas the UHG were slidered

I’ve attached a screenshot of the relevant post in the link provided by irishhorse.

The poster states the badge is the officers version of the RIC/RUC but because it has solid string is UHG. He then goes on to claim the ORs version to the UGH also has solid strings. No source is given for this information.

Personally I have never seen the type pictured below with solid strings in 25 years of collecting so highly doubt this claim. If this latter statement is indeed inaccurate then that would also likely call into question the claim about the officers badge.

Alternatively if the poster is correct then KK and Gaylor are both wrong and neither had or showed a UHG badge...

Know very little about police badges. The officer's pattern badge (on left) was different than the OR's. But thought the UHG wore RUC badges, with no change ? Cap badge were in short supply, so even RUC collar badges were worn in the cap. I've also seen the badge in the original post with blade fittings.