British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   It's a Mystery -Unknown Insignia for Identification (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Could not find any info on this badge (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77980)

rluka 27-03-20 11:17 PM

Could not find any info on this badge

1 Attachment(s)
Here is another metal detecting find that I would like to find out about its history. This has been posted in a few places and no one could indentify it.
Its about 2 inches in length
Your help would be greatly appreciated
Ron L

Phil2M 27-03-20 11:21 PM

American Ambulance Great Britain maybe?

rluka 28-03-20 03:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil2M (Post 504215)
American Ambulance Great Britain maybe?

That seems to be the only response in all the different places that this has been posted.... It seems like there are badges that just cant be pinpointed to a place or time.

Or, maybe this isnt military related

Thanks for your response
Ron L

tonyb 28-03-20 08:36 AM

No idea but looks like it has a UK Swiss US connection to me.
Tony.

leigh kitchen 28-03-20 09:17 AM

Could the central shield represent the arms of Savoy that used to be portrayed on the Italian tricolour?

High Wood 28-03-20 09:19 AM

It does not appear to be the Union Flag on the left but an ensign containing the Union Flag. It might be either the white or the red ensign so it might suggest a naval connection.

The rear is unusual in that it has rusted and is therefore thin steel so the front of the badge must have been plated.

leigh kitchen 28-03-20 09:39 AM

Could be a naval connection or simply use of the red or white ensign as representative of a British / UK flag as happens sometimes with patriotic postcards etc.
It looks like some suspension attachments or similar are missing from the bottoms of the flags?

If the hatching on the cross is heraldically correct rather than merely ornamental then it signifies "or" rather than "argent" which would be wrong for the arms of Savoy.

Arthur R 28-03-20 11:00 AM

As High Wood says, flag on the left is a British ensign rather than the UK flag as such. Canada's old flag was a red ensign - perhaps this was some joint Canadian-US service or organisation.

leigh kitchen 28-03-20 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Is there a design in the centre of the ensign type flag - initially I thought perhaps a cross, but possibly a shield if a Canadian flag?

High Wood 28-03-20 11:57 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pre 1965 Canadian flag.

peter monahan 28-03-20 01:12 PM

My first instinct was to say 'Savoy!' too, but I think that's a red herring. Thin, cheaply made and probably had a vertical stick pin on the back? I'm going to guess that it was sold as a patriotic fund raising device, which were very common. Some Red Cross PLUS Canada & USA connection. "American Ambulance Great Britain" or something similar?

rluka 28-03-20 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by High Wood (Post 504228)
It does not appear to be the Union Flag on the left but an ensign containing the Union Flag. It might be either the white or the red ensign so it might suggest a naval connection.

The rear is unusual in that it has rusted and is therefore thin steel so the front of the badge must have been plated.

It is heavy ... not sure if that matters

rluka 31-03-20 05:36 PM

THANK YOU to everyone that helped in trying to figure out what this badge is related to.

Ron L