British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Headdress (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=72)
-   -   Royal Tank Regiment Officer's Dress Beret. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71477)

leigh kitchen 04-01-19 01:50 PM

Royal Tank Regiment Officer's Dress Beret.

6 Attachment(s)
The RTR officer's "astrakhan"dress beret.
Introduced during the 1960's?
It was officially discarded for wear during 1978 although it appears that it's wear was unofficially "avoided" prior to that.
From what I read it was an item that appears to have been very unpopular and an object of ridicule even amongst those who had to wear it.

It bore nicknames that can't be repeated on this forum and are too offensive for me to even hint at.
I don't have strong views for or against it - I never had to wear one.

I bought what there is of this one because even though I had to pay postage from America and taxes it was the only way I'd get one at a price I could afford to pay.

It lacks the bullion badge and part of the lining, I'm still looking for a badge although the end result won't be genuine as adding stitching to put the badge on it "fakes it up" to me. As and when I get a badge I'll use a couple of dress pins to hold it in place.

Anyway I was pleased to get this beret, sorry looking though this particular example is.

leigh kitchen 04-01-19 03:19 PM

From what I can make out, the astrakhan beret and bullion badge were introduced in 1962.

The feather hackle was introduced in 1954, replacing the horsehair brush or plume being worn by the band and was also introduced for wear by officers (although not in the yet to be introduced astrakhan beret) in No. 1 Dress.

At some point the the band have adopted flat, inverted triangle shaped hackles as worn in the RTR OR's distinctively set up Dress berets.

leigh kitchen 04-01-19 06:38 PM

"In a short lived deviation from the black felt norm, an imitation black Astrakhan No1 Dress Beret was authorised in 1961 for wear by officers. A regimental hackle (3 coloured feathers) was inserted behind the badge.

However a few years after its inception, the Astrakhan had become a something of a joke having acquired a variety of unflattering nicknames (the hackle itself was described as an `irritating adornment`) and very few officers would wear it. Almost universally loathed, the parade beret was consigned to the dustbin of history after only 12 years."

"The Tank Museum, August 31, 2012 in The Tank Museum: News & Events".

leigh kitchen 07-01-19 02:54 PM

15 Attachment(s)
The Other Rank's Dress beret (I thought I'd post photos here rather than start a seperate thread)
As with the officer's Astrakhan version of the RTR beret this form of "parade wear" appears to have been unpopular with those who were required to wear it.
Until a couple of days ago when I read a comment by someone who thought highly of both designs of headgear I'd only read negative comments on them.

The OR's Dress beret was another short lived innovation worn during the 1960's-70's
Distinctive in that it has a deep band of black plastic, is set up very high with an integral tall, wide badge backing, it bears some considerable resemblence to a caubeen.
It was worn with a flat, inverted triangle shaped hackle.

Of the three that I own one has had the badge stiffener reduced in height by being cut down presumably by its wearer.

(As I keep the berets stored with their hackles removed I've been too idle to fit the hackles properly by removing the badges, inserting the hackles through slits cut in the berets and replacing the badges, I've simply wedged the hackles behind the badges for the photo shoot).

grey_green_acorn 02-02-20 03:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In wear by me at Catterick 1969-70 (50 years ago!)

Tim

leigh kitchen 26-02-20 11:16 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by grey_green_acorn (Post 499133)
In wear by me at Catterick 1969-70 (50 years ago!)

Tim

50 - years ago - and I bet the uniform still fits?

Were these berets as unpopular with those who wore them as is claimed?

My officer's dress beret finally acquired a badge a week or two ago, thanks to forum member 3dg.

It's held in place by a safety pin and a bit of Frog Tape for the photos.

grey_green_acorn 26-02-20 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leigh kitchen (Post 501476)
50 - years ago - and I bet the uniform still fits?

Were these berets as unpopular with those who wore them as is claimed?

My officer's dress beret finally acquired a badge a week or two ago, thanks to forum member 3dg.

It's held in place by a safety pin and a bit of Frog Tape for the photos.

Leigh,

Sadly the uniform must have shrunk in the wardrobe. I was a 28 inch waist in 1972!

My Troop OC wore the Astrakhan beret in 1970 but I didn’t ask if he liked it!

I have seen a reference that the CO of I think 2RTR in 1978 was the driving force in getting them dropped.

Tim

leigh kitchen 03-03-20 07:00 AM

I feel that the fact my beret still fits (and over the same amount of hair) is evidence that I've kept in shape although as you point out uniforms have a built in shrink factor.

From The History of The 4th and 7th Royal Tank Regiments website:

August 1978
The Regimental log “Chinese Eye” records that this was a difficult time. The Regiment was sixty under strength – almost a squadron – and tank skills had suffered from the two Op Banner tours in quick succession. There was great pressure on all ranks and sport inevitably suffered. One piece of good news for the officers was that the ceremonial astrakhan beret was finally given the heave – officially!

http://www.4and7royaltankregiment.com

fearnaught 18-03-20 10:24 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Hi, just for reference, here is an officer's dress beret with badge attached as it came. Also, I believe, a quite rare officer's black beret. The badge is the silver plated Indian made badge, best wishes Mike

leigh kitchen 20-04-20 09:18 PM

A belated just spotted thanks button jab for that, thanks.

sapper533 22-04-20 12:56 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Officers beret given to me in about 1978 by Major Rogers (friend of my fathers)
Cheers
Sean

leigh kitchen 22-04-20 12:58 PM

Nice, can you show the badge in more detail please?

Edit, just seen the image you posted on another thread.

sapper533 22-04-20 01:01 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep, in fact put the photo of the badge on the thread about RTR badges I had started but here it is.

leigh kitchen 22-04-20 01:07 PM

Thanks button.

sapper533 22-04-20 01:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Major Rogers was King enough to give me his black beret with the Atrakhan one, but unfortunately not an officers cap badge.