British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum

British & Commonwealth Military Badge Forum (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/index.php)
-   Royal Navy and Royal Marines (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   RNAS Cap Badge. Opinions Please. (https://www.britishbadgeforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7430)

Paddy 09-09-09 02:30 PM

RNAS Cap Badge. Opinions Please.

4 Attachment(s)
Hi

I have recently bought this RNAS badge (from a dealer who offers a no questions refund). I have looked at the threads on this forum and noted the usual flaws or good points in this widely copied badge. I have attached a few pics and would appreciate your opinions on the authenticity of this one. The badge does feel right, doesn't bend easily, the dimpling on the front isn't too rough/deep and is quite smooth to the touch. The R isn't too close to the top of the armoured car, there is some surface wear and the lugs look right/in the right place and have good brazing. Over to you, opinions/comments welcome.

As usual, many thanks in advance

Paddy

tynesideirish 09-09-09 03:13 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Paddy, The badge isn't a Cap Badge but a Collar badge. The sailors wore the usual RNAS cap badges.

Here's some in situ.

As for authenticity, I've given up commenting as you just upset people.

Paddy 09-09-09 03:45 PM

Tyneside

Many thanks for the pictures. Why wouldn't you be happy with the crown.

Paddy

jeanpit-frenchy 09-09-09 05:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
below it is my RNAS

Paddy 09-09-09 05:53 PM

Jeanpit

Many thanks for the pictures. Your's was one of the badges I looked at in an earlier thread and the badge I have just bought has a lot of similarities to yours which is one of the main reasons I bought it.

Paddy

Paddy 09-09-09 08:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Few extra pics (mistakingly placed them in another thread)

Paddy

dragonz18 09-09-09 11:32 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi Paddy,
got your PM. :)
Indeed, they are worn as collars, normally.
Have done a compare pic of your badge with a known good one( a little worn). IMO it looks to be OK. Though from a very slightly different die,I think.
See what you think here?
There are 2 basic types,I call, 'High' bonnet & tray, and 'Low' bonnet & tray.
Your's being the 'High' type, as compared here.
Have also included a pic of my good 'Low' variety( as is Jeanpit's) alongside a typical (on LH side) copy(a 'High' bonnet & tray type here,as are most often seen) with all the normal BAD signs(some,as you have noted ,above)plus skinny lettering, & poor crown & jewel detail ,etc, and a slider,to seal the deal !! ;)
Hope this helps?
Cheers !
Steve
( Email me if you would like better pics,etc )

Neil Pearce 10-09-09 03:20 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Paddy

For what it's worthI agree that it looks OK. That said, I am no guru! It looks identical to mine, which is attached, and I reckon mine is a good 'un. At least I hope it is.....

Cheers

dragonz18 10-09-09 06:36 AM

Neil,
can't see any real problems with that one either ! :)
Cheers !
Steve

wardog 10-09-09 04:52 PM

Not quite grasping this. Any way bad ones can be posted clearly and a list of faults to look for and good ones with their good points. I'm being a bit slow with this badge and not finding the points of diferance. Help. Cheers, Paul.

Semloh Retlaw 10-09-09 05:44 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jeanpit-frenchy (Post 46424)
below it is my RNAS

Both Badges together.
very little difference
Retlaw.

tynesideirish 10-09-09 06:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just out of interest, here's a pic of a Sweetheart.

Paddy 10-09-09 09:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Steve & Neil

Many thanks for your replies and extra pictures, I am happier that the badge is genuine.

Wardog

I have attached a picture of a typical copy of this badge. The main things I was looking for are:-

On the copy the R of RNAS is very close to, almost touching the top left hand edge of the turret. On the badges considered original the R is a bit further away.

On the copy the dimpling on the front of the badge is very pronounced, almost rough. On the originals it is a lot smoother to the touch and also looks smoother.

I also liked the lugs and the brazing on them. I have noticed that on the original badges the lugs all seem to be in the same place, almost directly above the wheels and level with the top of the bodywork. On a lot of the copies I've seen the lugs seem to be more widely spaced.

There are other small tell tale signs but those are the main ones I was looking for.

Paddy

Chrisr 11-09-09 12:18 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Paddy,

This one is genuine as I know the provenance of it. Much the same as yours but worn from polishing.

Cheers
Chris

ajmac 09-03-15 12:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
My Great Aunt gave me this back in 2000, I forgot all about it until moving some boxes in the workshop to make more room for my Loyd Carrier project. Looking through the photos of copies (I never knew there was such large number of fakes in wartime badges) I think it looks original, I've no reason to think my Aunt would be in possession of a copy. Any thoughts?
PS. I also posted in the copies section as originally I didn't think this post had made it on line.